Sep 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Ernesto Frieri was absurdly good for the Angels after they acquired him from the Padres on May 3, allowing zero runs in his first 26 appearances while some people asked things like “how can someone with a 0.00 ERA not make the All-Star team?!”
In those first 26 shutout appearances for the Angels he had a ridiculous .096 opponents’ batting average and 45 strikeouts in 26.1 innings.
Since then Frieri has made 23 appearances with a still-great .206 opponents’ batting average and 12.9 strikeouts per nine innings, but his ERA is an ugly 5.79 because he’s served up seven homers in 21.2 innings.
That includes a pair of homers to blow the save and take the loss Sunday and a two-run homer to Adrian Beltre to take the loss last night. The latter bomb came after Zack Greinke tossed eight innings of one-run ball and all but killed the Angels’ playoff chances.
Frieri’s great strikeout rate and low batting average against show that he’s still been dominant much of the time, but as one of baseball’s most extreme fly-ball pitchers he’s always going to be susceptible to serving up homers in bunches and unfortunately for the Angels those bunches are coming at the worst possible time.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)