Josh Hamilton leaves the team due to vision, sinus problems

Sep 21, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Josh Hamilton has missed the last two games with sinus trouble so severe that it has affected his vision.  They’ve gotten so bad now that he had to leave the Rangers’ road trip last night and is flying back to Texas to be examined by team doctors.

If he ends up missing the entire Rangers-Mariners series this weekend it does two things:

(1) it opens the door for Miguel Cabrera to pass him in the home run race, bolstering his chances at the triple crown; and

(2) renders those “Josh Hamilton is soft” comments from John-Jacques Taylor even more odious than they were yesterday.  The guy could have something pretty seriously wrong with him here.

1. stex52 - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Not only that, but I can imagine what people on this blog are going to do with “sinus problems.”

• nolanwiffle - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Now you’ve made me feel bad for wanting to somehow interject “Babylonian baby powder” into the discussion.

2. thatyankeedude - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Didn’t he have vision problems last year? Something about blue eyes effecting day games? The guy seems to hit some rough patches here and there.

• mdpickles - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Yes, has hit some rough patches, but considering how much this guy has already been through, he’ll get through this too. So easy to root for this guy.

3. randygnyc - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Infection as a result of a deviated septum.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I once had an operation to correct a deviated septum. I had a horrible experience immediately afterwards. My nose was plugged with gauze. Nasal drip running into my throat. Difficulty breathing and eating. A senior nose and throat surgeon (the guy who trained the surgeon who performed the operation) later told me that that type of operation was rough on the patient. Wish he had told me before.

4. indaburg - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:40 AM

“Aw, come on, Josh. Just take some Claritin like the rest of us and suck it up!”

I say that in jest. I know most people think of sinus issues as no big deal, but they can actually get pretty severe if untreated. Here’s a nice pic of a kid whose sinus infection spread: http://www.ohiosinus.com/patient-info/pediatric-sinus-disease

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

No way i’m clicking on that link; however, if I were an athlete and was having vision problems. And my job entailed trying to track a 3″ sphere moving 90+mph, I might sit out a day or two until my vision corrected itself.

• indaburg - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Exactly. And the link isn’t too bad–it’s not the grossest pic I found.

5. angrycorgi - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I’ve always hated Taylor…that guy is an idiot.

• attemptingtohesitate - Sep 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM

JJT is a Skip Bayless starter kit. In other words nothing but a shock jock. Wished he’d head out to Chicago and join his idol so he wouldn’t clog up the air waves in DFW. JH proved last year his toughness when playing throughout the playoffs while getting injections in the groin. Yet he never mentioned anything about it and went out and played.

6. realgone2 - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM

(2) renders those “Josh Hamilton is soft” comments from John-Jacques Taylor even more odious than they were yesterday. The guy could have something pretty seriously wrong with him here.

Craig really how the hell do you have a job? Seriously please explain this.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

What’s wrong with that comment?

• kevinbnyc - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM

He probably can’t read.

7. theawesomersfranchise - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

A yet some team is going to foolishly waste millions upon millions on this guy and get burned in a few months. Incoming horrid contract to join the club of bad contracts.

8. hardballtalkusername - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM

She don’t lie, she don’t lie, she don’t lie; cocaine.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2946)