Sep 21, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
C.J. Wilson struggled again Wednesday night, as his former Rangers teammates knocked him out of the game in the third inning, and afterward he had what Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times describes as “a lengthy closed-door meeting” with manager Mike Scioscia.
According to DiGiovanna it’s the second such meeting Wilson and Scioscia have had since the All-Star break and clearly the first get-together didn’t do much good, as he’s got a 5.79 ERA in 14 second-half starts.
However, despite Wilson’s struggles and Jerome Williams‘ nice long-relief outing after he exited Scioscia is sticking with him in the rotation because “we want him to get comfortable with some things and get back out there … I can’t overstate how much we need our starters to do what they’re capable of.”
DiGiovanna reports that Scioscia and pitching coach Mike Butcher previously stressed to Wilson that he should be more aggressive and scale back his repertoire in an effort to avoid so many deep counts and walks. Wilson led the league in walks with the Rangers in 2010 and then cut his walks to 74 in 223 innings last season, but he’s already issued 83 free passes in 191 innings this year.
Wilson is in the first season of a five-year contract that will pay him $11 million in 2013, $16 million in 2014, $18 million in 2015, and $20 million in 2016.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 17
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 13
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (184)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)