Sep 21, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
He’s been out since late July with a herniated disk in his neck and played just 18 games for the Orioles prior to being shut down. Combined between Philadelphia and Baltimore this season he’s hit .252 with seven homers and a .797 OPS in 48 games, which would be more than enough production to help an Orioles lineup that has lost Nick Markakis and Wilson Betemit.
He figures to be a part-time designated hitter and bench bat down the stretch and the 42-year-old could be headed back in the playoffs for the 10th time in his Hall of Fame career.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)