Sep 21, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
He’s been out since late July with a herniated disk in his neck and played just 18 games for the Orioles prior to being shut down. Combined between Philadelphia and Baltimore this season he’s hit .252 with seven homers and a .797 OPS in 48 games, which would be more than enough production to help an Orioles lineup that has lost Nick Markakis and Wilson Betemit.
He figures to be a part-time designated hitter and bench bat down the stretch and the 42-year-old could be headed back in the playoffs for the 10th time in his Hall of Fame career.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)