Ozzie Guillen shrugs off job concerns

Sep 21, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen AP

Asked about FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal’s report Friday that he might be fired at season’s end, Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen didn’t sound like a man worried about his job.

“Ha. Ha. Ha,” Guillen chortled. “That’s the last thing going through my mind every day, if I’m going to have a job next year. I’m going to have a job. I don’t know if it’s managing the Marlins, but I will have a job. I don’t know if it’s managing in the big leagues, but I will have a job.”

The fashion conscious Guillen lamented that the worst part of possibly being fired would be the move.

“The worst thing about my job is pack my house in Miami,” he said. “I’ve got a lot of clothes. But after that, nope.”

Of course, he would miss the lively club scene as well. Asked about the Marlins’ big-ticket shopping spree over the winter, Guillen responded: “I didn’t spend money on anyone. … I spend my money on women. I don’t spend my money on guys.”

Guillen’s Marlins lost to the Mets tonight to fall to 66-85 on the season. They’re 1 1/2 games behind the Mets for the worst record in the NL East.

1. randygnyc - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Really stupid responses/comments. Sounds like he doesn’t care, or if he does, his ego won’t allow him to admit it.

• brewcrewfan54 - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Well its a pretty stupid question to answer. No he doesn’t want to be fired. And it wasn’t up to him who the Marlins signed. Whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question was wrong. And stupid questions get stupid answers.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

His quote about not spending money on guys but on women is awesome.

• xmatt0926x - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I won’t lie. I’m not the biggest Guillen fan but that comment did get a chuckle from me too.

3. lumpyf - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Ozzie’s got the 4 year contract. I’d be laughing too.

• Old Gator - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Definitely. I’m trying to imagine Scrooge McLoria being willing to pay him for three years to do nothing. It doesn’t compute.

4. Gordon - Sep 22, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I’d imagine the Marlins are trying to dig up some dirt on him so they can fire him “for cause.”

5. Gordon - Sep 22, 2012 at 7:40 AM

• Gordon - Sep 22, 2012 at 8:31 AM

No clue why this posted twice. I hit the “post” button once.

6. fuddpucker - Sep 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Ozzie is so gone at the end of the season.

• mazblast - Sep 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I can see Loria letting him manage one more season. “Sunk cost” and all that, and we know how Loria is about money.

“I spend my money on women.” Love the guy, he’s never predictable. I’m not impressed by him as a manager, but I love his unpredictability. A living box of chocolates.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3388)