Sep 21, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
The Marlins traded two minor leaguers to the White Sox to make Ozzie Guillen their manager and gave their new skipper a four-year, $10 million contract. Now, just one year into the deal, they could be in for a messy divorce.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are considering canning the controversial Guillen and replacing him with a first-time manager, such as Mike Lowell, Bo Porter or Brad Ausmus.
It’d be ironic if Lowell replaced Guillen in Miami so soon after Robin Ventura took over for him in Chicago. The two have practically the same credentials: both were All-Star third baseman, both spent the bulk of their careers with the team they’d be managing and both had no managing experience prior to being considered.
Miami’s shakeup would follow a very disappointing season in which they were expected to contend for the NL East crown. Instead, they’re currently in last place in the division with a 66-84 record. It was reported Thursday by USATODAY’s Bob Nightengale that the team would fire club president Larry Beinfest.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)