Sep 21, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
After last night’s blowout loss to the Phillies manager Terry Collins was asked by reporters whether the Mets had quit and replied: “You have to ask them.”
That was seemingly a pretty clear implication that he felt they had indeed quit, but today Collins told the same reporters he regretted his comment and doesn’t think they quit:
We know we’re going through a tough time. I’m very proud of this team, the way they played all year. The one thing I will never, ever talk about is their effort. Their effort has always been there. … That’s not the issue. The issue has been, as a manager you sit here and you try to fix it. You try to figure out how to fix it. And you pull out all your stops. No matter what you’ve done in the past, you try to find an answer to it. When you don’t have the answers anymore, it’s frustrating.
In a situation like this it’s always tough to tell how much of that is Collins defending his players and how much of that is Collins defending himself, because if a manager admits his team is no longer giving him a maximum effort … well, that’s usually the beginning of the end for the manager.
In other words, you can’t say “the players aren’t playing hard” without the next question being “well, isn’t it your job to make sure they are playing hard?”
Whatever the case, the Mets are 20-43 in the second half.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)