Sep 21, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
After last night’s blowout loss to the Phillies manager Terry Collins was asked by reporters whether the Mets had quit and replied: “You have to ask them.”
That was seemingly a pretty clear implication that he felt they had indeed quit, but today Collins told the same reporters he regretted his comment and doesn’t think they quit:
We know we’re going through a tough time. I’m very proud of this team, the way they played all year. The one thing I will never, ever talk about is their effort. Their effort has always been there. … That’s not the issue. The issue has been, as a manager you sit here and you try to fix it. You try to figure out how to fix it. And you pull out all your stops. No matter what you’ve done in the past, you try to find an answer to it. When you don’t have the answers anymore, it’s frustrating.
In a situation like this it’s always tough to tell how much of that is Collins defending his players and how much of that is Collins defending himself, because if a manager admits his team is no longer giving him a maximum effort … well, that’s usually the beginning of the end for the manager.
In other words, you can’t say “the players aren’t playing hard” without the next question being “well, isn’t it your job to make sure they are playing hard?”
Whatever the case, the Mets are 20-43 in the second half.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)