Sep 21, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Astros have interviewed former catcher Brad Ausmus for their managerial vacancy. This is an intriguing choice. Partially because he’s a former Astro, but mostly because he’d probably be a great selection.
Back when he was a player, Ausmus had a reputation for being one of the most prepared guys in the game. Even when his playing time tailed off at the end of his career, he kept detailed charts and scouting reports on opposing pitchers and hitters. He worked closely with his pitchers and his other teammates. There was a sense that he was already something of a co-manager/backup catcher.
He’s an extremely smart guy who, I bet, would gel really well with what seems to be a smart front office.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)