Sep 21, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Astros have interviewed former catcher Brad Ausmus for their managerial vacancy. This is an intriguing choice. Partially because he’s a former Astro, but mostly because he’d probably be a great selection.
Back when he was a player, Ausmus had a reputation for being one of the most prepared guys in the game. Even when his playing time tailed off at the end of his career, he kept detailed charts and scouting reports on opposing pitchers and hitters. He worked closely with his pitchers and his other teammates. There was a sense that he was already something of a co-manager/backup catcher.
He’s an extremely smart guy who, I bet, would gel really well with what seems to be a smart front office.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (93)