Sep 21, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Astros have interviewed former catcher Brad Ausmus for their managerial vacancy. This is an intriguing choice. Partially because he’s a former Astro, but mostly because he’d probably be a great selection.
Back when he was a player, Ausmus had a reputation for being one of the most prepared guys in the game. Even when his playing time tailed off at the end of his career, he kept detailed charts and scouting reports on opposing pitchers and hitters. He worked closely with his pitchers and his other teammates. There was a sense that he was already something of a co-manager/backup catcher.
He’s an extremely smart guy who, I bet, would gel really well with what seems to be a smart front office.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)