Sep 22, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported earlier this week that Angels owner Arte Moreno had been “expressing unhappiness behind the scenes” with the performance of both longtime skipper Mike Scioscia and first-year general manger Jerry Dipoto.
But that unhappiness isn’t going to lead to much.
Moreno spoke directly with MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez on Saturday afternoon and put to rest the growing speculation that he was considering making significant changes in the front office and dugout.
“Regardless of what happens the next 11 games, Mike Scioscia will 100 percent return,” Moreno said in a phone interview with MLB.com. “I have told him. He wants to come back, I want him to come back. He’s been the manager of the Angels for 13 years. He will be the manager of the Angels for a 14th year. Period.
Jerry Dipoto will be back. I think we’re learning a lot about ourselves, but [Dipoto] will be back.”
Scioscia signed a 10-year contract in 2009. Dipoto was hired this past offseason to replace Tony Reagins.
The Angels entered play Saturday evening with an 82-69 record, ranking third in the American League West and three games behind the Athletics in the hunt for the American League’s second Wild Card.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)