Sep 22, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported earlier this week that Angels owner Arte Moreno had been “expressing unhappiness behind the scenes” with the performance of both longtime skipper Mike Scioscia and first-year general manger Jerry Dipoto.
But that unhappiness isn’t going to lead to much.
Moreno spoke directly with MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez on Saturday afternoon and put to rest the growing speculation that he was considering making significant changes in the front office and dugout.
“Regardless of what happens the next 11 games, Mike Scioscia will 100 percent return,” Moreno said in a phone interview with MLB.com. “I have told him. He wants to come back, I want him to come back. He’s been the manager of the Angels for 13 years. He will be the manager of the Angels for a 14th year. Period.
Jerry Dipoto will be back. I think we’re learning a lot about ourselves, but [Dipoto] will be back.”
Scioscia signed a 10-year contract in 2009. Dipoto was hired this past offseason to replace Tony Reagins.
The Angels entered play Saturday evening with an 82-69 record, ranking third in the American League West and three games behind the Athletics in the hunt for the American League’s second Wild Card.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (101)