Death row inmate’s last words: “God bless the Texas Rangers”

Sep 22, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

rangers logo wide

Robert Wayne Harris killed five people in cold blood and wounded another while robbing a car wash twelve years ago.  And yesterday the State of Texas put him to death for his crimes.  As he went to meet his maker, he had baseball on his mind:

“I’m going home. I’m going home,” Harris said. “Don’t worry about me. I’ll be alright. God bless, and the Texas Rangers, Texas Rangers.”

Probably not the sort of the sort of thing that offsets the Rangers’ opponents’ endorsements.

Anyway, this is not a new thing for Texas executions. According to the story, several condemned men “have thanked the Dallas Cowboys football team for providing them enjoyment” prior to their lethal injections. So, yeah, priorities are pretty awesome down there.

Also: man, do NOT give your son the middle name Wayne.

1. koufaxmitzvah - Sep 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM

John Wayne’s real name was Marion Mitchel Morrison. And Clint Eastwood has been working in Hollywood since he was 15.

Nothing like bursting some bubbles.

• largebill - Sep 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

How does mentioning two fairly well known facts burst anyone’s bubble?

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The idea that John Wayne is a man’s man is the reason why so many folks in prison and/or are mass murderers are named John Wayne. And folks who look up to Clint Eastwood seem to believe that the man is a gruff outsider having made it big in Hollywood.

• hackerjay - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Not only are your facts apropo of nothing, but the Clint Eastwood one is just flat wrong. He was discovered while he was in the Army, and he didn’t appear in a movie or TV show until he was 25. His first role that was an actual starring role was Rawhide in 1958, when he was 28.

2. kiwicricket - Sep 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Glad he took time out to bless me. I feel better now.

3. pisano - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

He should have blessed himself,where he’s going he’s gonna need it.

4. hondoheaven47 - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Isn’t Chipper’s middle name Wayne? Hmmmmmm……….

5. nategearhart - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My dad and I both have the middle name Wayne, and we’re both originally from Texas. I’ve been real nervous how that’s gonna turn out for years. :P

6. apmn - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Maybe he meant Walker, Texas Ranger?

7. realgone2 - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

So, yeah, priorities are pretty awesome down there.

Had to get a little dig in there didn’t you Craig? Who at NBC do you have pictures of?

• spellingcops - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Don’t you know the thinnest skinned writer in all of the internet can make all the digs he wants, but God forbid you might say something that offends him?

8. 4cornersfan - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I looked up Charles Starkweather’s middle name, but disappointingly, it was Raymond. The exception that proves the rule? (Whatever that means).

9. lewp - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Kind of strange that someone that is dying for murder is encouraging a state law enforcement agency. I guess some people don’t know what Texas Rangers are..

10. stex52 - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I actually think of him as a typical Rangers fan.

11. stex52 - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM

BTW, aound here we’ve known about the “Wayne” thing for years.

12. paul621 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Just FYI, I have no idea what “God bless, and the Texas Rangers” means, but it’s not the same as “God bless the Texas Rangers.”

13. mikeinthevine - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM

You sure he wasn’t talking about the law enforcement Texas Rangers?

14. yahmule - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Clint Eastwood is a willowy, quiche-eater who pulls out his ridiculously huge, possibly compensatory gun any time things get serious.

15. hillcountrybear - Sep 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

When I saw the headline (Death row inmate’s last words: “God bless the Texas Rangers.”) I thought, “Oh, he must have been arrested by the Texas Rangers, and now he is grateful that someone stopped him from his crimes.” Intrigued, I clicked on it only to find the Texas Rangers basesball team logo and a story about blessing a baseball team. Now I’m a little disappointed.

16. ddrhl - Sep 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Don’t you suppose he was referring to John Wayne Gacy?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3742)