Sep 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Despite repeated reports that Dusty Baker was set to return from an irregular heartbeat before now the Reds manager remains hospitalized in Chicago for a fourth straight day.
Fill-in manager Chris Speier was asked by reporters if the longer than expected stay for Baker suggested he was dealing with a more serious problem than initially believed, but downplayed that notion:
That’s speculation. Knowing Northwestern, they just wanted to be thorough. I think that in itself is the best answer, just to make sure.
Hopefully he’s right, although Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Speier may not really be in position to know either way because he hasn’t actually spoken to Baker since Thursday.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)