Sep 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Despite repeated reports that Dusty Baker was set to return from an irregular heartbeat before now the Reds manager remains hospitalized in Chicago for a fourth straight day.
Fill-in manager Chris Speier was asked by reporters if the longer than expected stay for Baker suggested he was dealing with a more serious problem than initially believed, but downplayed that notion:
That’s speculation. Knowing Northwestern, they just wanted to be thorough. I think that in itself is the best answer, just to make sure.
Hopefully he’s right, although Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Speier may not really be in position to know either way because he hasn’t actually spoken to Baker since Thursday.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)