Sep 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Despite repeated reports that Dusty Baker was set to return from an irregular heartbeat before now the Reds manager remains hospitalized in Chicago for a fourth straight day.
Fill-in manager Chris Speier was asked by reporters if the longer than expected stay for Baker suggested he was dealing with a more serious problem than initially believed, but downplayed that notion:
That’s speculation. Knowing Northwestern, they just wanted to be thorough. I think that in itself is the best answer, just to make sure.
Hopefully he’s right, although Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Speier may not really be in position to know either way because he hasn’t actually spoken to Baker since Thursday.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 4
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 13
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 9
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles