Sep 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Former Pittsburgh Pirates owner Kevin McClatchy sat down with Frank Bruni of the New York Times recently and spoke for the first time publicly about his sexuality. He’s gay, and like many people, especially public figures and especially people in the world of professional sports, McClatchy’s time in the closet was difficult, trying and unsatisfying in many, many ways.
But being away from the day-to-day of professional sports since selling the Pirates — and finding himself in a stable relationship — have eased his mind and improved his life. And about that stable relationship?
For their contentment they have Rick Santorum, the former senator from Pennsylvania, to thank. They were fixed up by someone who worked for Santorum and whom McClatchy first got to know through his professional interactions, when he owned the Pirates, with Santorum’s Senate office.
That’s probably the best thing ever.
Though really, we can’t undersell how being away from the Pirates has likely improved his life too. That place is a misery factory.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 18
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 50
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)