Sep 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
Former Pittsburgh Pirates owner Kevin McClatchy sat down with Frank Bruni of the New York Times recently and spoke for the first time publicly about his sexuality. He’s gay, and like many people, especially public figures and especially people in the world of professional sports, McClatchy’s time in the closet was difficult, trying and unsatisfying in many, many ways.
But being away from the day-to-day of professional sports since selling the Pirates — and finding himself in a stable relationship — have eased his mind and improved his life. And about that stable relationship?
For their contentment they have Rick Santorum, the former senator from Pennsylvania, to thank. They were fixed up by someone who worked for Santorum and whom McClatchy first got to know through his professional interactions, when he owned the Pirates, with Santorum’s Senate office.
That’s probably the best thing ever.
Though really, we can’t undersell how being away from the Pirates has likely improved his life too. That place is a misery factory.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 2
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)