Former Pirates owner Kevin McClatchy comes out of the closet

Sep 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EST

Kevin McClatchy

Former Pittsburgh Pirates owner Kevin McClatchy sat down with Frank Bruni of the New York Times recently and spoke for the first time publicly about his sexuality. He’s gay, and like many people, especially public figures and especially people in the world of professional sports, McClatchy’s time in the closet was difficult, trying and unsatisfying in many, many ways.

But being away from the day-to-day of professional sports since selling the Pirates — and finding himself in a stable relationship — have eased his mind and improved his life.  And about that stable relationship?

For their contentment they have Rick Santorum, the former senator from Pennsylvania, to thank. They were fixed up by someone who worked for Santorum and whom McClatchy first got to know through his professional interactions, when he owned the Pirates, with Santorum’s Senate office.

That’s probably the best thing ever.

Though really, we can’t undersell how being away from the Pirates has likely improved his life too. That place is a misery factory.

1. youjivinmeturkey - Sep 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Good For Him :)

• pjmarn6 - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Hey Craig character assassination has little to do with site. If you want to talk about sexuality and politics find a new job.

• js20011041 - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Character assassination on who? Santorum?

• recoveringcubsfan - Sep 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM

First, ya gotta have a character to assassinate….

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 23, 2012 at 4:14 AM

“Good For Him”

Not really. It is not “good” to be a homosexual. You have a smaller number of prospective mates; you have a shorter live expectancy; you are less likely (especially if you are a male homosexual) to have children and raise a family; there will be many people in society that are disgusted by your homosexual behavior (well, speaking for myself, male homosexual behavior is gross, not so much for lesbians, what can I say?); and confused sports fans will say nice things about you.

You should pray that your children do not turn out to be homosexual. It is a big handicap in life.

Homosexuals and their supporters are making a big push to get the right to same sex marriage. This will eventually include brothers marrying brothers, dads marrying their sons, sisters marrying sisters, and moms marrying their daughters. Just making a complete mockery of marriage. Homosexuals think that sexual intercourse includes sodomy.

Hey Craig, can’t want for your next article about homosexuals.

• youjivinmeturkey - Sep 23, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Wow. Bigot Much?! hahahaha Sheesh.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I understand that some people will call me a bigot if I do not not support the homosexual agenda.

No one ever called me a bigot before. If being called a bigot is the price I pay for trying to keep homosexual behavior in the correct social context, then, you can just call me Mr. Bigot.

• normcash - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

No, David…being called a bigot is the price you pay for being one….

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

well, what is your definition of bigot? What is it that makes me a bigot?

Does being against same sex marriage make me a bigot?

Does being grossed out by the sight of men butt fking or even kissing make me a bigot?

I really want to know. What makes me a bigot?

• philsgamer - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Wow there is so much unsubstantiated BS in this post.

“This will eventually include brothers marrying brothers, dads marrying their sons, sisters marrying sisters, and moms marrying their daughters. Just making a complete mockery of marriage. Homosexuals think that sexual intercourse includes sodomy.”

I’d like to see the scientific studies that you pulled this crap from. This is the same tired argument that bigots have been rallying behind ever since homosexual marriage has been a topic of discussion. Get your head out of your own ass. I’m still waiting to see the classic line, “But how will I explain it to my children?” I’ll let Louis C.K. answer that:

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM

“Get your head out of your own ass. I’m still waiting to see the classic line, “But how will I explain it to my children?”

Don’t be so worried about my ass. This is what I am talking about. Pervert.

Doni’t worry about my children either, but, suffice it so say that I do not want my young children reading stories about the handsome young prince that married another guy. They don’t need to know anything at all about that.

What stops brothers from getting marrried, once same sex marriage is legal?

• don444 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Well jeez Davey Boy, presumably the same mandates that stop sisters from marrying now, right? Am I missing something or are you honestly just that damn dumb?

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM

“the same mandates that stop sisters from marrying now”
        As far as I know, the only thing that keeps sisters from marrying today is the law that says marriage is between a man and a woman.
        Am I missing something or are you honestly, oh, you know.

• don444 - Sep 26, 2012 at 3:52 AM

You honestly thought it was perfectly legal for siblings to marry? LOL Idiot. Same-sex marriage is now legal in six or seven different states, but brothers can’t legally marry one another as a result of that any more than brothers and sisters could legally marry one another before there was such a thing as same-sex marriage. Bottom line is your concerns in that specific error are beyond dumb, just like you. Get it now, Davey Boy?

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

But why can’t two brothers marry? I know why a brother and sister cannot marry. Because marriage implies children and children from a mother and father of such close relation are at risk for genetic disorders.

But when you have same sex marriage, that concerns goes away. So, why shouldn’t brothers be able to marry?

10 years ago, there was no same sex marriage. Now, there is some. Now that there is some same sex marriage, you are opening the door for other mockeries of marriage. Such as brother to brother. I’m sure that it is just one court case away from happening. Why not?

Perhaps you think that brothers should not be able to marry. There are some, maybe many, who support same sex marriage that have no objection to brothers getting married. They think that any two adults who say that they love each other should be able to get married. When you green light same sex marriage, whether you know it or not, you are green lighting brothers getting married. Sooner or later.

I happen to be against brothers getting married. I think society has an interest in regulating marriage;. I think that marriage should be between a man and woman.

No need at all for men to get married to men.

• don444 - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

You’re just paranoid, dude, flat paranoid and thoroughly homophobic. 49 states have strict incest prohibition laws on their books (Rhode Island appears to be an exception and even they have some loose guidelines) and, unlike same-sex marriage, I’m certainly not aware of any grand movement amongst brothers frothing at the mouth to dick their sisters in legal matrimony that will challenge these laws anytime soon. Yeah, I know, how can I be sure that won’t crop up in society someday? Well hell, you could apply that hypothetical to anything as you could outlaw same-sex marriage completely in the U.S. tomorrow and it or a million other things could surface down the road that we can’t predict, so this idea you’re forwarding that its cuurent legalization, specifically speaking, will only lead to worse things, like brothers marrying each other, is pointless and misguided. Your viewpoint is along the lines of believing that it being illegal to physically assault your wife while walking down the sidewalk is a wrong-headed and disturbing notion because, who knows, they might decide to extend that into arresting a man if he’s just caught arguing with his wife. Focus on your own life and stop worrying about what gays want to do one way or the other and you’ll be much better off. Your words remind one of some racist Southerner in the 1960s. You’re willingly embracing a mindset that more and more people are discarding on a yearly basis and you’ll eventually be outnumbered (very near future) and there really isn’t a goddamn thing you can do about that. Nothing personal, that’s a simple statement of fact. No matter, I’m done discussing this.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM

“49 states have strict incest prohibition laws on their books”

But what does incest have to do with homesexuals??!!?

Incest is ***sexual intercourse*** between family members or close relations..

If there is one distinguishing characteristic of homosexuals it is no sexual intercourse.

Incest laws do not apply to homosexuals. Why on earth would they? Who gives damn if two queers want to engage in sodomy? Society has no interest in that. I certainly don’t.

“Focus on your own life and stop worrying about what gays want to do one way or the other and you’ll be much better off.”

I focus on my life and on the society that I live in.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM

“You’re willingly embracing a mindset that more and more people are discarding on a yearly basis and you’ll eventually be outnumbered (very near future) and there really isn’t a goddamn thing you can do about that. Nothing personal, that’s a simple statement of fact. ”

“Same-sex marriage is not recognized in most U.S. jurisdictions.”

2. mazblast - Sep 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Santorum indirectly responsible for a gay couple meeting. How weird is that?

Beyond that, this goes in the “who cares?” column. It really doesn’t MATTER. I wish them as much happiness as I would any other couple, but in a vague sort of way.

• purnellmeagrejr - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I thought the article was going to be about how he kept the PIrates in the celllar for 20 years.I dOn’t reallly care who he has sex with.

• don444 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

That’s what you thought, huh? What, couldn’t read the title clearly? Nope, right or wrong this is about his sexuality and, to a lesser degree, his choice not to disclose it during his time in the spotlight, not the Pirates and their laughable inability to produce a winner since Bush 41.

• recoveringcubsfan - Sep 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Being involved in any way with mainstream American sports and being gay matters a lot to plenty of folks. It’s news even if you don’t think so. It tells you all you need to know that, like others, he waited until he was away from the game to come forward.

Good for this dude.

3. thatyankeedude - Sep 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Who cares?

• fearlessleader - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Well, lots of us care. Every time a public figure comes out of the closet, it becomes a little bit easier and a little bit safer for LGBT kids (and adults) everywhere to be themselves without shame or fear.

Good for him, and good for me for getting through this whole comment without making a “Santorum” joke.

• cur68 - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM

You’re 4 comments in. Its early.

• IdahoMariner - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I want to give you more than one thumbs up, but I can’t. While I truly appreciate the sentiments expressed by mazblast, prunell and that yankeedude (which I take to mean that they don’t care one way or another about someone’s sexuality,so are disinterested, rather than don’t want to hear about it because it offends them)…

It does matter when everyday people and prominent people make it known to their friends and family and co-workers that they are gay. As evidenced by the Escobar discussion the other day, several people who are offended by homosexuals and don’t believe they should be treated equally base at least part of that stance on their perception that there are very few homosexuals and that very few straight people care whether they are treated equally. So, it’s cool (to me, anyway) when someone can get free of hiding it, and when they are treated with respect when they do. And, because I love baseball and just about everything about it, I do find it interesting. So, I care, I guess. And, given the short nature of all of the posts on HBT, it’s not like it takes much out of your day to scan it an decide whether to read it…

• thrstr - Sep 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM

so dude gets his rocks off with other dudes, yankeedude is is right, wgaf?? When it doesn’t matter to ANYONE including “fearless” is when progress is made . . .

• fearlessleader - Sep 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yep, thrstr, but we’re not there yet, are we? Some of the comments here make that eminently clear. I will be happy to celebrate with you when LGBTs are accepted as full and equal members of society, but until then, I’ll continue to celebrate the brave folks who are helping us get there.

It saddens me that 20 people saw fit to thumbs-down my earlier comment. That LGBT visibility makes life better and safer for LGBT kids is not debatable, so I can only conclude that 20 people here would prefer that LGBT kids remain in fear and misery.

4. paperlions - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM

If I was a betting man, I would bet that Santorum doesn’t actually care if gay people get married or not or if they have the same rights as heterosexual people. Like most politicians, he’s just taking a side that he thinks is popular among the section of the electorate he is trying to court…..does anyone really believe that politicians run based on their own personal opinions on issues? They are trying to win, they will “believe” whatever is required of them to do that.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I disagree. Santorum is a true believer that homosexuality and everything about it is evil, sinful, wrong and should be punished by man and then God in whatever way possible.

He lost his senate seat, in part because he alienated basically everyone. He has taken no effort to tack to the center even as the popularity of various gay-rights initiatives increases. He is frank that his religion — and he is hard core — dictates his views here.

You can say a lot about Rick Santorum — an AWFUL lot — but one thing you can’t call him is phony. He is talking the talk and walking the walk, even if that talk and walk is horrible.

• Old Gator - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Eeeyep, Santorum is a genuine slug. He thrives out on the periphery of every debate to which he brings his truncated intellect, bigoted ignorance and puckered spirit.

But back to McClatchey. It might have done worlds of good if he had come out while he still owned the team. Might have encouraged that first “Gay Jackie Robinson” to step forward and mark the beginninf of the end* to the juvenile silence currently surrounding the issue in the locker room.

• leerosenthall - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I’m no so convinced, Craig.

Santorum really stood for not much of anything as a student at Penn State when he joined the College Republicans. And his devoted, good Roman Catholic helpmeet carried on a long affair with a well-known abortion provider in Pittsburgh before she met St. Rick and fell under his spell. It’s hard to know what he genuinely believes, if anything. That being said, he’s crazy like a fox. I think he knows his devoted constituency of far right religious fanatics will never leave him if he tows their bigoted line. I suspect he’s doubled down on the Tea Party rhetoric believing his best chance to win anything ever again is to rise to the top on a wave of mass hysteria and fear of godless liberals, homosexuals and Muslims of any stripe. Rick’s One True Religion is Blind Ambition. (See here: http://www.npr.org/2012/02/28/147561186/new-republic-who-was-rick-santorum-in-college)

(And, I, too am glad McClatchy came out. Maybe now sports talk radio “personalities” will stop casually making comments about how it’s a “violation” for two dudes to attend a Madonna or Lady Gaga concert together, but it’s okay for a guy to take his wife or girlfriend. Yeah, Mike Missanelli, I’m talking to YOU.)

• canoyoulie - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

leave your personal comments to yourself calcaterra. this site is about baseball news. i really don’t care what your own personal opinion is of rick santorum or your social views.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I’m curious, but have you listened to anything Santorum has said? If this were Romney, I’d believe that most of his soundbites are an appeal to the crazier side of the Republican base, but with Santorum he’s either the world’s most successful troll or he believes this crap. Craig went through the backstory, and is 110% correct.

• mazblast - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM

If you were a betting man and bet that way, you’d be wrong. He is a true believer, of the dangerous kind. He’s not only out on the edge on this issue (and many others), he doesn’t even see the possibility of his being wrong. Usually this kind of infallibility is reserved for God, and, if you’re a certain type of Catholic, for the Pope.

• paperlions - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I guess I should keep up with bigots more (not really).

To me, it is hard to tell what people really believe based on public actions/statements. For example, I firmly believe that those in charge of the Catholic Church don’t truly believe in their god. If they did, there is no way they would facilitate pedophiles and child abusers throughout the world for decades (likely centuries) in order to maintain their socio-economic power structure. Anyone that truly believed in that god would never make such a decision and shield such people much less send the pedophiles off to other unsuspecting congregations to continue his activities (if they do believe, they all have to be seriously concerned about their impending time in hell), …and it is all in the name of power and influence (a distinctly non-Christian thing to covet). Often, there is a giant chasm between what people say they believe and what their actions tell you….nonetheless, perhaps Santorum is as big a loon as he plays in public.

5. Old Gator - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

*This was not an oblique reference to the 1957 B – horror movie about giant grasshoppers overrunning Chicago. It might have been if they had overrun Pittsburgh too.

6. deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM

This has really inspired me- I want to take this moment while the courage still abounds and annouce to the world- I am straight. Yes, see how silly that sounds to you- that’s how silly it sounds to me when someone who is gay feels the need to announce their sexuality through the press. The only people this guy should be concerned about are his friends and family and he doesn’t need to use the media to reach them. Go live your life and don’t bother everyone with the details- whatever floats your boat as long as it’s not with animals or children. The next time I want someone of prominence to announce their homosexuality is when Jessica Beil comes forward to speak about her torrid relationship with Kate Beckinsale…and the reason for coming out is because the two made a sex tape and its about to be released pubically…and also where said video can be downloaded for free.

• normcash - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

deathmonkey’s response is so typical of the type of anti-gay bigot who pretends it doesn’t
      matter to him, while in actuality it bugs the hell out of him. “…don’t bother everyone with the details” he says. What “details’? There weren’t any—just an acknowledgement that McClatchy
      is gay. But to guys like deathmonkey, even that simple thing is a “detail” he doesn’t want to hear…the mere thought makes his head explode. Oh, but he’s not a bigot! No siree Bob!
      And of course, he gives the game away with the snarky lesbian sex reference…why is it so many anti-gay types’ emotional development seems to have stopped in junior high school?

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ha ha ha ha- the standard mantra of today’s liberal- call everyone a hate monger or a bigot or a “insert applicable topic”-phobe. It’s boring- it really is.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM

And just for future reference, save the labeling people bigots thing for when they are opposed to your point of view- not for they’re in agreement or indifferent. It just kind of loses it’s tired luster.

• nategearhart - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Ah, but if he were straight, and had a wife, and made some mention of his wife in an interview, would you be throwing out the same stuff? “So he’s straight. Big deal.” I doubt it.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

@nate, if you’re talking to me, it would register the same. If he spoke with the media to relay the fact that he was straight, I would ask- why the F is this guy telling me this and why do I care?

• nategearhart - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Ok, now I’ll ask you this: every time you come across a link online about a story you don’t care about, do you take the time to comment saying that you don’t care? I ask because you seem awfully passionate about your indifference, passionate enough to mock the story subject, anyway.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Yeah, well, I’m not sure if I’d describe myself as “passionate” about this. I’m passionate about good Vodka, I’m passionate when someone tries to tell me the Olive Garden is good Italian food, I’m passionate about the sport’s teams I follow, I’m passionate when I rail against how CGI and that stupid slow motion effect from the Matrix has completely ruined movie-making, I’m passionate in my hatred for the Red Sox, but I’m certainly not passionate about this. It’s just that whenever someone tries to use a baseball blog to voice their political agenda- no matter how strenuous the connection to the game might be- or to make some weakass hacky attempt to throw an opposition’s politician under the bus, I like to take a moment to stir up the sediment and muddy up the waters. It could also be that I’m kinda bored today and a slow news day is what generates this marginal stories.

• xavier46 - Sep 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

You make a pretty passionate argument about how you are not passionate about this subject. Again, you commented once, twice, three times, etc.. Clearly you care about this a bit. You made a lame attempt to backtrack and state it’s because of political agenda, yet mentioned nothing political in your initial post. In fact, your entire initial post is regarding sexuality.

Also, how the eff do you release a sex tape pubically? And how has no one else caught that?

7. lumpyf - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM

If someone who works at Amazon sets me up with their friend, does that mean I’m supposed to thank Jeff Bezos?

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM

A congressional staff consists of a small handful of people, most of whom work closely with the Congressman and most of whom are hired because they have demonstrated some sort of political kinship with the Congressman. This is especially true of someone who would be dealing one-to-one with the chairman of a large newspaper business like McClatchy.

So, no, your analogy has zero relevance here.

• cosanostra71 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I was introduced to my girlfriend by a friend who works at a small business (I believe only about 20 people). Should I thank his CEO?

• IdahoMariner - Sep 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I think you might be using your lawyer voice here…. Usually you stop before that last sentence and just leave it at the educational bit, which has always been ridiculously effective AND keeps the tone a little lighter (in case the guy was actually just trying to figure out why you’d give Santorum credit).
        Not criticizing, just trying to look out for you (this is my hands-down, favorite place for all-around baseball talk). Not that you need looking out for….

8. thatyankeedude - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I’m confused as to why this is such a big deal. Gay people are going to do whatever they want because they don’t want to be accountable for their actions so I say let them. There will be a day when God judges everyone and it’s a shame those people who don’t believe or live the word of God will be terminated. I wish people could awake and see that God is indeed a loving God. I myself and a very strong Christian and I do not mind the gays one bit. But the reason people get so upset about homosexuality is because they care for others. I don’t wish hell upon my worst enemy, it’s beyond the worst thing a soul must go through. I think the people absolutely bent on judging those who oppose gays need to reevaluate what they themselves are saying and vis versa. However, God will be the ultimate judge and I pray for you guys that don’t believe and refuse to acknowledge what is right and wrong. It’ll be a very sad day for you.

• lumpyf - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Did God tell you this or are you just regurgitating the same BS hypocrites like yourself have been spewing for centuries?

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:09 PM

[makes wanking motion]

• canoyoulie - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

nice calcaterra. remove yourself and be above the talk, try to be a little professional ok?

• js20011041 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM

This is one of those things that gets me. So god is a loving god, but if you don’t believe in him, he is spiteful and will banish you to hell for all eternity.? Sounds kind of like an insecure prick.

• nategearhart - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Do you go on these little rants for every single “sin” that you come across? If so, that must get really tedious. If not, why do you pick on homosexuality?

• paperlions - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Why shouldn’t gay people do whatever they please? Heterosexual people do….and according to the bible you appear to follow, committing adultery is far far worse than homosexual acts, and adultery can be the mere coveting of another. So…you should probably be worried.

As a larger point, “Christians also do whatever they want”, usually in direct conflict to the teachings of their Christ, who, if you paid any attention at all, was a hippie that taught you should love all of your fellow man, not judge and hate them.

9. barrywhererufrom - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM

File this under who gives a rats asa. Love the santorum shot. People who act so open minded like liberals are the most close minded when opinions disagree with them. Yes santorum is Catholic and his beliefs are shaped by his faith..I know that’s horrible..and guess what millions of Catholics agree with him..so now let the Catholic bashing begin in one..two

• normcash - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Another typical ploy of a bigot…if you hate bigotry, that makes you a bigot too!
      What a nonsensical thing to say! And claiming a religious justification for prejudice
      doesn’t cut it. “God made me do it!” No, YOU are accountable for your own attitudes.

• paperlions - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Yes, but not all kinds of bigotry are bad. Being completely intolerant of those that are hateful sexists, racists, or homophobes is indeed being a bigot….but that is a worthwhile bigot.

10. pjmarn6 - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM

So?

11. mybrunoblog - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I don’t really care about who McClatchy has a relationship with. Thats his business not mine. I do care about the fact that he was not a good owner and hurt his franchise.

12. thatyankeedude - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Its like you just don’t want to accept that fact that your wrong. I promise you there is a God. Too many things have happened in my life to tell me other wise. When somebody saves you, you tend to have a natural loyalty to them. So yes my political beliefs come 100% from my faith. Santorum is the same way just more extreme. And it doesn’t matter what I say somebody here will whine about it. If people don’t think homosexuality is right they are a bigot. Oh well, guess I’m a bigot. But I know where I am going after I die. Can you say the same?

• js20011041 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Please explain further. Tell us what has caused you to accept the existance of a god. I’m not mocking, I’m genuinely curious. Personally, I’m not a believer. I’m open minded, but I guess you could call me a highly skeptical agnostic. I’m open to any possible evidence either way, but I’m not going to hold my breath on waiting for evidence of the positive. There are just so many holes in the story and when conflicting with science, religion has lost every argument throughout history.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Hey, you just described me to a T. I have zero religous convictions- altough I don’t fight the Thou Shall Not Kill and Steal and Commit Adultary thing too much. I don’t agree with people that think homosexuality is wrong, but I also don’t label them hate mongers or bigots if they feel that way. I don’t do the whole smug indignation thing all that well- even though it seems to be popular with the kiddies around here. You’re entitled to believe what you want.

• js20011041 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

deathmonkey41, I will say that I agree with you. I don’t see any problem with the hatred of homosexuals. I don’t have a problem with the hatred of anyone, even if those doing the hating are public officials. That’s their business and they have a right to believe whatever they want to believe. What I do have a problem with is taking those beliefs and turning them into actions. Not everyone dislikes homesexuals or believes that homosexuality is a “sin.” In no way should these individuals be allowing their hatreds and biases to influence public policy. That’s the problem.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I am so tired of the fact that abortion and gay marriage are even political issues. If you want to get an abortion, get an abortion- if you’re opposed to it, then don’t. If you’re stupid enough to want to get married, then you deserve what you get when it ultimately fails over 50% of the time. I want to hear about how you’re going to stop this country from sinking into economic obscurity- those other things are just issues to help garner votes.

• paperlions - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Man has created 1000s of gods over the centuries….it is curious how each group is so sure they they are right, when at best only one group is (as each denies the existence of other gods). The next bit of evidence found for the existence of a god with be the first bit.

13. bla bla bla - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM

This particular straight white male admires McClatchy for his courage. I doubt seriously that anyone here has that kind of courage and that includes myself.

Think about it… this guy has opened himself up to the entire world and will face plenty of misery and ridicule from the usual bigots as well as various and assorted other weirdos. And he’s done it in real life, not hiding behind the anonymity of the keyboard.

14. natslady - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM

It’s all well and good for an owner to come out. And it’s all well and good for MLB and Blue Jays to suspend a player for gay slurs. My question is when will an active player who is in a gay relationship be able not to “come out” but to openly and publicly have that relationship? Often we see players’ wives and children in publicity shots or at charity events. When will we see a gay couple there?

• natslady - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I’m going to answer my own question. I’m not going to be specific, because it’s not my place. But I sincerely hope that a World Series victory would be sufficient to the purpose.

• canoyoulie - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

if you aren’t going to be specific, then why even mention it?

15. thatyankeedude - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM

No no no. God is always loving. He will always want a relationship with his people. It hurts God to punish more than anything. After all you are his creation. Think about this: if your manager asks you to do a particular task would you not do it? He is the one who hired you and gave you a chance. Why would you feel any disobedience to him especially if this particular manager is a good being? No God is not secure and God does not send people to hell. A person earns that punishment. Does not a judge sentence the guilty of a particular crime? I don’t think a judge wants to condemn people but he must do so because their actions provoked a cry for punishment.

• nategearhart - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Well, in your analogy, what would actually happen is that a coworker would come to me and say “Hey, the boss told some dude that used to work here a LONG time ago for you to do this thing, at least I’m pretty sure that’s what it was since it was in a different language. Oh, and no one’s ever actually seen the boss. Oh, and you don’t get a paycheck until you’re dead.”
      I would think you could understand my skepticism as to what the boss actually said, or whether he even said it at all.

• js20011041 - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Just a few questions.

Why does god disapprove of homesexuality? It’s a victimless, nonharmful action between two consenting adults.

If god has the power that he is claimed to have and is loving, why is there so much evil and misery in the world? Murder, rape, torture, disease, Jersey Shore. Why are we subjected to these things?

Since I’m pretty sure I know your answer to that one (free will), why would god give us free will but not make us less likey to inflict pain and suffering on others?

And if he gave us free will, that is essentially saying that he created us and just got out of the way, so what’s the point of praying?

Further, what’s this stuff about god’s plan? Does god have a plan for all of us? If he does, and is as swell a guy as he is made out to be, how do you explain all of the suffering in the world?

If god has a plan, do we really have free will?

16. thebadguyswon - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

ah yes….another appearance of Hardball Politalk. yay!

17. schlom - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Did the other MLB owners discriminate against him by making him buy the Pirates?

• paperlions - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Considering that they didn’t know he was gay, on what basis would that discrimination have been? That he was a rich white guy?

• canoyoulie - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

you would love to be a rich white guy wouldn’t you paperlions? or just a rich guy.

18. deathmonkey41 - Sep 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM

The only morality this guy needs to speak to is how he could sleep at night putting out such a shit product and charging people a lot of money for it.

19. schlom - Sep 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Was coming “out” harder than telling people that he owed the Pirates?

Also what a life for him. Gay, Pirates owner, and his wealth comes from owning newspapers.

20. willclarkgameface - Sep 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Being homosexual and in the closet is still probably less painful than having to sit through all those shitty seasons in Pittsburgh.

I’m about ready to close the door on those bozos myself. I so badly wanted them to go to the playoffs this year and they can’t even put that damn .500 together.

McClatchy – be openly gay, be happy, and be doubly thankful that you are away from the shit show.

21. stairwayto7 - Sep 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Worse article EVER! This person needs a 7 day suspension or write about high school baseball! Simply the worse!

• js20011041 - Sep 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Dude, your English teacher just shit a brick.

22. jr420eightball - Sep 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Poor Pittsburg Pirates fans just when you think the news can’t get any worse it gets worse. Constant losing MLB seasons & then you find out your boss is a queer.

No wonder everyone in Pittsburg flocks to the Steelers & Pitt University for sports.

23. Max - Sep 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

ESPN is moderating the shit of this story over on their site… it so hilarious. But there is no way this guy can be gay, because the Pirates uniforms were hideous.

24. thatyankeedude - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Hey I just came back to read the comments again. Ya sure I’ll give you a situation that God has had my back. When I was 8 years old I went swimming with my grandfather. He got out of the pool cause he was tired and I still wanted to swim. He went inside to get a drink and i had a seizure. It was caused by my asthma. So i started to sink, couldn’t move and was paralyzed. My grandpa recalls the fossiit water being disabled and he went outside to get water from the hose. That water from the sink never was broke. But while he was out there he saw me at the bottom of the pool and saved my life. I asked for a drink of water cause my body was traumatized so grandpa went to the sink, forgetting it was broke. Well like I mentioned earlier, it wasn’t broke. God without a doubt made that sink not work in order for my grandpa to save me. You don’t have to believe me because my grandpa has since died:( he would be the only person who could fully recall the situation. But i promise you God has always had my back. I know it’s hard to believe because you cannot see but that is faith. Faith is believing without seeing. All I ask from everyone on this site is to not mock those who have faith because you never know what kind of crazy stuff helps shape a persons heart.

25. canoyoulie - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM

agreed yankeedude. i’d hate to be on the wrong side of this argument. if they get it right, so what? if they get it wrong … biiiiiiiiig problem. enjoy hell. ;)

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5183)