Sep 22, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
The National League’s Cy Young favorites both added to their cases Saturday, with the Nationals’ Gio Gonzalez beating the Brewers for win No. 20 of the season and the Mets’ R.A. Dickey going eight strong to defeat Miami for his 19th victory.
Gonzalez held the Brewers to two runs — both unearned — over seven innings in a 10-4 rout. The runs came after a Bryce Harper error in the sixth. Gonzalez allowed just three hits and walked one in lowering his ERA to 2.84.
Dickey took a shutout into the ninth, only to get charged with two runs after Jon Rauch gave up a three-run homer to John Buck. That took Dickey’s ERA from 2.58 to 2.66, but he still holds the NL lead over Clayton Kershaw (2.70) and Kyle Lohse (2.71).
Dickey was also robbed of a three-run double or triple on a terrific play from Bryan Petersen in the sixth. You can watch the video here. It would have been Dickey’s first extra-base hit since 2010 and just the third of his career.
That Dickey has such a big edge in innings pitched over Gonzalez — 220 to 193 1/3 at the moment — should be a determining factor in the Cy Young race. However, if Dickey ends up stuck on 19 wins and Gonzalez finishes as the NL’s only pitcher with 20, it’s possible the left-hander will take home the hardware.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)