Sep 22, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
The National League’s Cy Young favorites both added to their cases Saturday, with the Nationals’ Gio Gonzalez beating the Brewers for win No. 20 of the season and the Mets’ R.A. Dickey going eight strong to defeat Miami for his 19th victory.
Gonzalez held the Brewers to two runs — both unearned — over seven innings in a 10-4 rout. The runs came after a Bryce Harper error in the sixth. Gonzalez allowed just three hits and walked one in lowering his ERA to 2.84.
Dickey took a shutout into the ninth, only to get charged with two runs after Jon Rauch gave up a three-run homer to John Buck. That took Dickey’s ERA from 2.58 to 2.66, but he still holds the NL lead over Clayton Kershaw (2.70) and Kyle Lohse (2.71).
Dickey was also robbed of a three-run double or triple on a terrific play from Bryan Petersen in the sixth. You can watch the video here. It would have been Dickey’s first extra-base hit since 2010 and just the third of his career.
That Dickey has such a big edge in innings pitched over Gonzalez — 220 to 193 1/3 at the moment — should be a determining factor in the Cy Young race. However, if Dickey ends up stuck on 19 wins and Gonzalez finishes as the NL’s only pitcher with 20, it’s possible the left-hander will take home the hardware.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)