Sep 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
One day after Chris Carpenter returned from supposed “season-ending” surgery to rejoin their rotation the Cardinals look likely to lose Jake Westbrook for at least the remainder of the regular season.
Westbrook hasn’t pitched since September 8 because of an oblique injury and had to cut short today’s bullpen due to pain. Afterward he told reporters that it’s “hard to imagine” being able to pitch again before the regular season ends.
Westbrook has been solid with a 3.97 ERA, 106/52 K/BB ratio, and just 12 homers allowed in 175 innings, but with Carpenter added to the mix and Lance Lynn seemingly back on track the Cardinals’ rotation depth remains strong.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness