Sep 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
One day after Chris Carpenter returned from supposed “season-ending” surgery to rejoin their rotation the Cardinals look likely to lose Jake Westbrook for at least the remainder of the regular season.
Westbrook hasn’t pitched since September 8 because of an oblique injury and had to cut short today’s bullpen due to pain. Afterward he told reporters that it’s “hard to imagine” being able to pitch again before the regular season ends.
Westbrook has been solid with a 3.97 ERA, 106/52 K/BB ratio, and just 12 homers allowed in 175 innings, but with Carpenter added to the mix and Lance Lynn seemingly back on track the Cardinals’ rotation depth remains strong.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)