Sep 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
One day after Chris Carpenter returned from supposed “season-ending” surgery to rejoin their rotation the Cardinals look likely to lose Jake Westbrook for at least the remainder of the regular season.
Westbrook hasn’t pitched since September 8 because of an oblique injury and had to cut short today’s bullpen due to pain. Afterward he told reporters that it’s “hard to imagine” being able to pitch again before the regular season ends.
Westbrook has been solid with a 3.97 ERA, 106/52 K/BB ratio, and just 12 homers allowed in 175 innings, but with Carpenter added to the mix and Lance Lynn seemingly back on track the Cardinals’ rotation depth remains strong.
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 34
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 51
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 64
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)