Sep 22, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Braves fans are arguing among ourselves a little bit. Not a ton, but a little. The argument: should Kris Medlen start the one-game wild card playoff for which the Braves seem destined or should Tim Hudson. I say “a little bit,” because almost everyone I talk to thinks it should be Medlen because the dude has been insane in the second half.
John Smoltz believes the Braves should take the gamble of going with one of their other starting pitchers in this must-win game. His belief is that the Braves would increase their odds of winning the best-of-five Division Series if they would have Medlen and Hudson available to pitch the first two games which would be played at Turner Field.
Maybe Smoltz is just subconsciously advocating for the third-best pitcher out of some leftover Maddux/Glavine issues.
Whatever the case, like Leo Durocher said: “You don’t save a pitcher for tomorrow. Tomorrow it may rain.”
Pitch Medlen. You don’t win the NLDS until you get to the NLDS. And Medlen gives you the best chance to do that.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)