Sep 22, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
From David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution comes word that Braves center fielder Michael Bourn jammed his left thumb during Saturday’s 8-2 defeat of the Phillies and has been ruled out of Sunday afternoon’s series finale.
Bourn finished 2-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored in the victory and made it all nine innings, so the decision to sit him out for one game is mostly precautionary. The Braves have a scheduled off day Monday, then open a three-game series against the Marlins on Tuesday night.
Bourn, 29, is batting .274/.346/.391 with nine homers, 59 RBI and 39 stolen bases in 151 games this year.
The Braves are currently 5 1/2 games back in the NL East but have a firm grasp on the first Wild Card slot.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)