Sep 22, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
From David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution comes word that Braves center fielder Michael Bourn jammed his left thumb during Saturday’s 8-2 defeat of the Phillies and has been ruled out of Sunday afternoon’s series finale.
Bourn finished 2-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored in the victory and made it all nine innings, so the decision to sit him out for one game is mostly precautionary. The Braves have a scheduled off day Monday, then open a three-game series against the Marlins on Tuesday night.
Bourn, 29, is batting .274/.346/.391 with nine homers, 59 RBI and 39 stolen bases in 151 games this year.
The Braves are currently 5 1/2 games back in the NL East but have a firm grasp on the first Wild Card slot.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24