Sep 22, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
From David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution comes word that Braves center fielder Michael Bourn jammed his left thumb during Saturday’s 8-2 defeat of the Phillies and has been ruled out of Sunday afternoon’s series finale.
Bourn finished 2-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored in the victory and made it all nine innings, so the decision to sit him out for one game is mostly precautionary. The Braves have a scheduled off day Monday, then open a three-game series against the Marlins on Tuesday night.
Bourn, 29, is batting .274/.346/.391 with nine homers, 59 RBI and 39 stolen bases in 151 games this year.
The Braves are currently 5 1/2 games back in the NL East but have a firm grasp on the first Wild Card slot.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)