Sep 22, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
4:35 p.m. EDT update: The Cardinals report that Molina departed due to lower back spasms. Consider him day-to-day.
It appeared to be either a hip or oblique injury, but nothing particularly serious. Molina wanted to stay in and was upset about not getting his way. Once back in the dugout, he slammed his bat into the top of the dugout and again on to the front railing.
Tony Cruz replaced him at the plate with a 1-0 count and stayed in to catch.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)