Sep 23, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
From Andy Martino of the New York Daily News comes word that Mets closer Frank Francisco will be “unavailable for at least several more days” and could be shut down for the remainder of the year due to ongoing concerns about his throwing elbow.
Francisco hasn’t made an appearance since last Sunday and hasn’t converted a save since Sept. 1.
An MRI has ruled out major structural damage, but the right-hander is battling lingering inflammation.
Francisco has registered a disappointing 5.53 ERA, 1.61 WHIP and 47/21 K/BB ratio across 42 1/3 innings this season for New York. The 33-year-old is under contract for a salary of $6.5 million in 2013.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)