Sep 23, 2012, 2:39 PM EST
From Andy Martino of the New York Daily News comes word that Mets closer Frank Francisco will be “unavailable for at least several more days” and could be shut down for the remainder of the year due to ongoing concerns about his throwing elbow.
Francisco hasn’t made an appearance since last Sunday and hasn’t converted a save since Sept. 1.
An MRI has ruled out major structural damage, but the right-hander is battling lingering inflammation.
Francisco has registered a disappointing 5.53 ERA, 1.61 WHIP and 47/21 K/BB ratio across 42 1/3 innings this season for New York. The 33-year-old is under contract for a salary of $6.5 million in 2013.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)