Sep 23, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
From Andy Martino of the New York Daily News comes word that Mets closer Frank Francisco will be “unavailable for at least several more days” and could be shut down for the remainder of the year due to ongoing concerns about his throwing elbow.
Francisco hasn’t made an appearance since last Sunday and hasn’t converted a save since Sept. 1.
An MRI has ruled out major structural damage, but the right-hander is battling lingering inflammation.
Francisco has registered a disappointing 5.53 ERA, 1.61 WHIP and 47/21 K/BB ratio across 42 1/3 innings this season for New York. The 33-year-old is under contract for a salary of $6.5 million in 2013.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)