Sep 23, 2012, 1:11 AM EST
In defeating the Padres 8-4, the Giants won their sixth straight game Saturday to clinch the NL West title with 10 games to play.
“I’ll take this one,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “I like a margin of error.”
It’s the second time in three years the Giants have won the NL West. Of course, they won the World Series after taking their division in 2010. However, this will be just the team’s second trip to the postseason in nine years.
“It’s the first step,” Pablo Sandoval said. “We’re excited to get it done early.”
Surprisingly, the Giants have done it with offense of late. They’re on pace to finish with their most runs scored since 2006, Barry Bonds’ next-to-last year in the bigs. However, they’re also going to finish with their most runs allowed since 2008.
As for tonight’s game, it was Marco Scutaro and Brandon Belt carrying the load. Scutaro went 3-for-5 and knocked in three runs. He’s working on a 12-game hitting streak that has raised his season average to .304. He’s reached base at least twice in all but one of the games during the streak.
Belt homered, doubled, walked and scored three times.
Madison Bumgarner got the win after allowing three runs — two earned — in 5 2/3 innings. He’s 16-10 with a 3.26 ERA.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)