Sep 23, 2012, 1:11 AM EST
In defeating the Padres 8-4, the Giants won their sixth straight game Saturday to clinch the NL West title with 10 games to play.
“I’ll take this one,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “I like a margin of error.”
It’s the second time in three years the Giants have won the NL West. Of course, they won the World Series after taking their division in 2010. However, this will be just the team’s second trip to the postseason in nine years.
“It’s the first step,” Pablo Sandoval said. “We’re excited to get it done early.”
Surprisingly, the Giants have done it with offense of late. They’re on pace to finish with their most runs scored since 2006, Barry Bonds’ next-to-last year in the bigs. However, they’re also going to finish with their most runs allowed since 2008.
As for tonight’s game, it was Marco Scutaro and Brandon Belt carrying the load. Scutaro went 3-for-5 and knocked in three runs. He’s working on a 12-game hitting streak that has raised his season average to .304. He’s reached base at least twice in all but one of the games during the streak.
Belt homered, doubled, walked and scored three times.
Madison Bumgarner got the win after allowing three runs — two earned — in 5 2/3 innings. He’s 16-10 with a 3.26 ERA.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)