Sep 23, 2012, 1:11 AM EDT
In defeating the Padres 8-4, the Giants won their sixth straight game Saturday to clinch the NL West title with 10 games to play.
“I’ll take this one,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “I like a margin of error.”
It’s the second time in three years the Giants have won the NL West. Of course, they won the World Series after taking their division in 2010. However, this will be just the team’s second trip to the postseason in nine years.
“It’s the first step,” Pablo Sandoval said. “We’re excited to get it done early.”
Surprisingly, the Giants have done it with offense of late. They’re on pace to finish with their most runs scored since 2006, Barry Bonds’ next-to-last year in the bigs. However, they’re also going to finish with their most runs allowed since 2008.
As for tonight’s game, it was Marco Scutaro and Brandon Belt carrying the load. Scutaro went 3-for-5 and knocked in three runs. He’s working on a 12-game hitting streak that has raised his season average to .304. He’s reached base at least twice in all but one of the games during the streak.
Belt homered, doubled, walked and scored three times.
Madison Bumgarner got the win after allowing three runs — two earned — in 5 2/3 innings. He’s 16-10 with a 3.26 ERA.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 21
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)