Sep 23, 2012, 1:11 AM EDT
In defeating the Padres 8-4, the Giants won their sixth straight game Saturday to clinch the NL West title with 10 games to play.
“I’ll take this one,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “I like a margin of error.”
It’s the second time in three years the Giants have won the NL West. Of course, they won the World Series after taking their division in 2010. However, this will be just the team’s second trip to the postseason in nine years.
“It’s the first step,” Pablo Sandoval said. “We’re excited to get it done early.”
Surprisingly, the Giants have done it with offense of late. They’re on pace to finish with their most runs scored since 2006, Barry Bonds’ next-to-last year in the bigs. However, they’re also going to finish with their most runs allowed since 2008.
As for tonight’s game, it was Marco Scutaro and Brandon Belt carrying the load. Scutaro went 3-for-5 and knocked in three runs. He’s working on a 12-game hitting streak that has raised his season average to .304. He’s reached base at least twice in all but one of the games during the streak.
Belt homered, doubled, walked and scored three times.
Madison Bumgarner got the win after allowing three runs — two earned — in 5 2/3 innings. He’s 16-10 with a 3.26 ERA.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)