Sep 23, 2012, 10:58 PM EST
The White Sox lost their fifth in a row Sunday to the Angels, giving the Tigers a chance to move into a tie for first place in the AL Central even after they were routed by the Twins in the first game of a doubleheader. How did they respond? By losing the nightcap 2-1 in 10 innings.
Here are the second-half records of the AL Central teams:
Tigers: 36-30 – .545
White Sox: 34-33 – .507
Royals: 33-35 – .485
Twins: 28-40 – .412
Indians: 19-49 – .279
And the September records:
White Sox: 9-12
The White Sox have received plenty of positive press for their surprising success under first-time manager Robin Ventura, but they’re probably the AL’s seventh or eighth best team.
As for the Tigers, well, they’ve been a disappointment pretty much all year long. They did play better ball in July and August, but they’ve stumbled again of late and they’d be on the verge of being ousted from the race if the White Sox hadn’t forgotten how to hit over the last week.
Both teams have 10 games left. The White Sox get the Indians for four and the Rays for three at home before finishing with three in Cleveland. The Tigers play four at home against the Royals and then finish on the road with three in Minnesota and three in Kansas City.
That’d seem to be advantage Chicago. Cleveland has played the worse of all of those teams, and the White Sox have the three extra home games. Still, with the way things have gone of late, it’s doubtful either team will run away with it.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)