Phillies, Yankees eyeing impending free agent Cody Ross

Sep 23, 2012, 4:45 PM EST

cody ross getty Getty Images

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that a market is already beginning to develop for corner outfielder Cody Ross, who will hit the free agent market in early November:

He has three major-market teams — the Phillies, Yankees, and Red Sox — very interested in him. Ross has made it clear he’d negotiate with the Red Sox right now and would stay in Boston if he had his druthers. The Sox are starting preliminary talks, but if something isn’t worked out before free agency begins, the Yankees and Phillies — at least — will be eager to talk to him. Ross played for Yankees manager Joe Girardi in Florida.

Cafardo has suggested in recent weeks that Ross will probably be on the hunt for a three-year contract worth more than $20 million.

The 31-year-old has posted a .269/.332/.489 batting line with 21 home runs, 33 doubles and 76 RBI in 122 games played this season. He signed a bargain one-year, $3 million deal with Boston this past winter.

1. jxegh - Sep 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Love this guy. Wish the Giants would got after him again.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

The Sox need to hang on to him. He wants to stay and he’s a perfect hitter for Fenway. Paying him around $7 million a year may seem steep, but when you consider the top free agents command three times that it’s not such a bad deal.

3. tfbuckfutter - Sep 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Signing a 31 year old after an uncharacteristically excellent year is ALWAYS a great idea.

In fact, it sounds kind of like a Theo Epstein move, so I imagine the Cubs will be involved too.

4. sisqsage - Sep 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

How does a story like this even get started?
    One theory: It has been THAT BAD in Boston this year Cody Ross is suddenly All That.
    Do three teams really want to double his salary in a multi-year deal for hitting .269 with 21 homers?
    Look at his career. A prolonged slump is never far away and he rarely has two good years in a row.
    He was so bad last year when the Giants’ offense was screaming for someone to step up, he spent more time on the bench than in the lineup.
    If you give this guy a multi-year deal you will probably be sorry.

• vanmorrissey - Sep 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Agreed. Since when was Cody Ross the glamour free agent you ‘must’ have? Having a career year in Fenway is nothing new for hitters coming there but they can afford to give up the $7 mil a year, but as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

• jolink653 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Reminds me of Jason Bay…Put up career numbers in a Red Sox uniform while playing in Fenway and now he’s atop New York’s most hated athlete list (even though he’s had some bad luck with injuries)…Ross is a solid player but not a must have big time free agent difference maker

5. yournuts - Sep 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Yankees, please stay clear of him. Give the money to Nick Swisher.

• mlblogspauly - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Agree but Swisher will be asking for more money than that. Probably about $12-$15 million per for 3-4 years

• jolink653 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

He might take less to stay here…I get the feeling that he absolutely loves being on this team and would take a good amount less to sign long-term

6. uyf1950 - Sep 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM

“Ross has made it clear he’d negotiate with the Red Sox right now and would stay in Boston if he had his druthers…”

The above quote is from the article. I thought I also read recently that he wanted to play for a contender at this point in his career. If that is true about wanting to play for a contender then the quote in the article has to be wrong. Because the 2 are mutually exclusive. He can’t re-sign with Boston and play on a contender.

Now I fully expect to receive the requisite number of thumbs down. But that still doesn’t/won’t change the reality of the Red Sox immediate future.

• 18thstreet - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The Sox will still have a terrific offense next year. As long as the pitching goes from awful to mediocre, they have a reasonable shot at the second wild card.

I’m NOT saying it’s going to happen. But it’s not like they’re guaranteed to finish out of contention next year.

• uyf1950 - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM

18thstreet – I have to say I’m not really sure on what basis you can say that. For example since Aug. 1st the Red Son have scored approximately 60 runs less this year than in in 2011 for the same period. That’s over 1 run less per game fewer runs scored. I realize their primary offensive weapon Ortiz has been out for much of that time. But injuries are a fact of life in baseball and there are NO guarantees that won’t happen again next year. Also he’s a FA next year and may not even be back with the Sox. First bas is another huge question mark in 2013 granted Gonzo’s power numbers were down when he was with the Sox but not his RBI’s so his offense will be missed. Also even if the Sox re-sign Ross are you that confident that he will produce the power numbers he did this year in 2013. They are almost all career highs. PLUS, all other teams the Sox used to beat up on like the O’s, Angels, Rays and Oakland have gotten better. Sorry but I just don’t see them being any better then maybe an 80 win team in 2013 at best. And that’s not going to be competitive enough to win even 1 of the 2 wild card spots. Sorry, but that’s just my opinion.

• 18thstreet - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I don’t think we disagree. I’d just say that they’re not guaranteed to be out of the hunt next year. If Ross likes playing in Boston, there’s no reason for him to rule the team out for the next three years. Especially if the Sox offer him the most money.

Incidentally, I never fault a guy for taking the most money.

• uyf1950 - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM

18thstreet, I know some of my fellow Yankee fans may cringe at this idea and it’s been mentioned here on HBT but I can honestly see the Yankees making a very good offer to Cody. After all Swisher is a FA at the end of the season, my guess is he’s going to be looking for anywhere from a 4 to 5 year deal in the area of $48 to $70MM total. Just my opinion if the Yankees are intent on getting below the $189MM luxury tax threshold for 2014 That’s the type of contract the Yankees can ill afford for Swisher. So my guess is they make him a qualifying 1 year offer of $13MM plus he refuses it obviously and the Yankees get a sandwich pick for losing him. Then they go after someone like Ross or maybe BJ Upton. While Upton will be more expensive than Ross he would certainly be less than Swisher. But heck we’ll see that’s what makes the winter worthwhile.

7. illcomm - Sep 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM

please Phils no Ross. back up the brinks truck for Hamilton.

• greymares - Sep 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

i cant spend that money on Hamilton, and i continue to wish him sucess with those personal demons. but the Phillies are carrying to much dead money now. i want a third baseman and a set-up man and i’ll piece meal that outfield with what i got.

• mJankiewicz - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

is greymares RAJ?

• hockeyflow33 - Sep 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Anyone who signs him to an expensive long-term deal is nuts. This guy is so broken down for his age

8. micker716 - Sep 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Cody Ross will be somebody’s Plan B when they miss out on/can’t afford Hamilton/Bourn/Upton etc. He’ll upgrade his current contract, but not by much.

9. bigharold - Sep 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Ross is only worth signing, for that kind of money, if he’s playing everyday. So, unless the Yankees are trading Gardner or not signing Swisher why would they sign Ross?

Ross only makes sense of the Yankees don’t sign Swisher. Swisher will likely sign a three or four year deal with in the 8-9 mil/yr range. As much as I like him he’s not getting the Werth type contract he thinks he’s in line to get. So if the Yankees can have Swisher why would they need Ross?

After all he’s Swish-a-licious.

• electstat - Sep 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM

How do you know what he thinks he’s in line to get?

• bigharold - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Because that’s been reported locally. He thinks he can get an offer like the one Wreth got from the Nats. Except the Nats were trying to establish themselves as a serious franchise worthy of being considered by FA. I think that they’ve established that so I’d be surprised if they do that again. And, in general I don’t see any other team looking at Swisher and seeing him as the player they got to have.

Swisher is decent defensively, better than most people think, and has a respectable BA but nothing to get excited about. His big draw is he’s a switch hitter with some pop, .. 25 HR/yr, and has a very healthy life time .359 OBP and he’s been durable. But, he’s also entering his mid thirties. If he was a bigger marquee name he might get a four or even a five year deal but he’s not. I think whether it be the Yankees or anybody else I think three four years at most and under no circumstances does he get more than 10 mil a year.

All that said, I like him a lot and hope he stays. I think he’s a good fit on the Yankees, he’s proven he can handle NY and I think his LH power swing is perfect for the Stadium. But, I think after the RS fiasco with Crawford most recently as well as guys like Vernon Wells and Alex Rios getting long term, 5 plus years, for any player will be reserved for must have elite FA.

10. xmatt0926x - Sep 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Good god. Just what the Phillies need. Another so-so at best outfielder to hit .260 and knock in about 70 runs. Don’t they already have an outfield full of mediocre at best players?? I guess there’s not a ton of options out there but if Ross is the outfielder that Amaro and the Phils keep talking about obtaining this offseason, I say just save the money. He’s no upgrade. When I hear about them throwing money at BJ Upton I cringe. However, if Ross is the alternatibe then by all means back up the truck to Upton.

• deepstblu - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:18 AM

If the Phillies want a spectacularly average outfielder, they might as well re-sign Juan Pierre.

• dino1730 - Sep 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM

So a guy who played 125 games, batting .313 with 35 stolen bases is average? He can still catch the Ballard may have a weak arm but does the entire Yankees outfield.

11. xmatt0926x - Sep 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM

*alternative (damn it!!)

12. pisano - Sep 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Are things that tough in MLB where Cody Ross is in demand?

• mazblast - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

He produces some, plays a good enough OF, and seems to have a great attitude. He’s a #3 OF in my book, not really a great everyday player but good enough to play a lot for a contender with lots of other weapons.

I’m not sure how well he’d fit in with Philadelphia, but I can see him as a good Plan B for the YANKEES (face The Bronx and bow) if Swisher isn’t re-signed.

13. scotttheskeptic - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I pray to God that Ruben Amaro, Jr. does not read HBT!!

14. deathmonkey41 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Could you imagine if Ross and Swisher wind up on the same team? The amount of fist pumps, knuckle bashes, hip bumps, wagging tongues, and goofy smiles that near in proximity could cause the world to fold in upon itself and implode.

15. pisano - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I just pray neither of them are with the Yankees next year. This is Swishers walk year, and I hope he does walk. The Yankees need another player along the lines of Paul O’neill in right field.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM

They might be able to talk Claudelle Washington out of retirement.

16. bostondoug0821 - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The Sox need to resign this guy. For the kind of production he gives them, 3 yrs at 7 million per year is fine. Plus they would be keeping him away from the Yanks. And he seems to be a good clubhouse guy, something the Sox need desperately more of.

17. Utley's Hair - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Wouldn’t getting Cody Ross to come here be similar to getting Jo(sephin)e Carter to come here after ’93?

18. freeagentsignee - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Get a deal Yankees, Cody!

19. freeagentsignee - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Get a deal Yankees, Cody!
    Ross has played for Girardi on the Marlins. He is a RH OF who can replace Andruw Jones. He played for the 2010 Giants and hit several HR’s in the ML WS. Best of all, we would take him from the Red Sox!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5844)
  2. M. Kemp (3266)
  3. J. Kang (3240)
  4. C. McGehee (3099)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3070)
  1. J. Upton (3004)