Sep 23, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
Roger Clemens has shut himself down for the rest of 2012, but he hasn’t completely given up on the dream of one day returning to the major leagues.
The 50-year-old right-hander will be in Kissimmee, Florida with the Astros next spring to fulfill his personal services contract and may be more than just a special instructor if his arm cooperates in workouts leading up to the opening of camp.
Via Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle:
“I might be going again here in February or something like that,” Clemens said Saturday. “I’ll be throwing. I don’t think it’s going to be competitive, but you guys know with me, I’m never going to shut the door on anything. Who knows what might happen.”
Clemens threw seven scoreless innings over two starts earlier this summer for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters. The seven-time Cy Young Award winner hasn’t pitched in the majors since the 2007 season.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro’s agent denies his client’s involvement in Dominican Republic shooting 27
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (243)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)