Sep 23, 2012, 8:52 AM EST
The Cardinals took a step toward the National League’s second Wild Card spot on Saturday at Wrigley Field, bouncing back from a crushing Friday loss to capture a 5-4 extra-innings victory over the Cubs. Adam Wainwright was shaky, yielding four runs in seven frames, but the bullpen registered zeros and Jason Motte earned his 39th save.
Carlos Beltran hit his 30th homer — a game-tying shot in the top of the ninth inning that sent a charge through the stadium filled mostly with red. The Cardinals’ big free agent acquisition is now batting .286/.375/.446 in September after slumping through August.
St. Louis enters play Sunday with a 2 1/2-game lead over the Brewers in the Wild Card hunt.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Athletics 9, Yankees 10 (14 innings)
Cardinals 5, Cubs 4 (10 innings)
Orioles 9, Red Sox 6 (12 innings)
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)