Sep 23, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
The Cardinals took a step toward the National League’s second Wild Card spot on Saturday at Wrigley Field, bouncing back from a crushing Friday loss to capture a 5-4 extra-innings victory over the Cubs. Adam Wainwright was shaky, yielding four runs in seven frames, but the bullpen registered zeros and Jason Motte earned his 39th save.
Carlos Beltran hit his 30th homer — a game-tying shot in the top of the ninth inning that sent a charge through the stadium filled mostly with red. The Cardinals’ big free agent acquisition is now batting .286/.375/.446 in September after slumping through August.
St. Louis enters play Sunday with a 2 1/2-game lead over the Brewers in the Wild Card hunt.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Athletics 9, Yankees 10 (14 innings)
Cardinals 5, Cubs 4 (10 innings)
Orioles 9, Red Sox 6 (12 innings)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)