Sep 23, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
The Giants celebrated their second National League West title in three years on Saturday night at AT&T Park without a certain eccentric right-hander.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Tim Lincecum was sent home early so that he could rest up for his scheduled Sunday start. Once the Giants clinched with an 8-4 victory over the Padres, manager Bruce Bochy called him back to join in on the fun and told Yusmeiro Petit that he’d be taking the bump in the series finale. But Timmy was unable to return to the stadium because of congestion on the streets of San Francisco.
Which, as Baggarly explains, is highly unfortunate:
Two years ago, Tim Lincecum was a holy terror to anyone with a hot microphone in a champagne-soaked clubhouse. He snuck enough four-letter words on the air to make the FCC blush.
But Saturday night, as the Giants celebrated another NL West title, Lincecum was nowhere to be found.
The 28-year-old has bounced back nicely from a dismal second half, boasting a 3.06 ERA and 79/34 K/BB ratio in 79 1/3 innings since the All-Star break. He’ll take his next turn in the rotation later this week.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 20
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)