Sep 23, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
The Giants celebrated their second National League West title in three years on Saturday night at AT&T Park without a certain eccentric right-hander.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Tim Lincecum was sent home early so that he could rest up for his scheduled Sunday start. Once the Giants clinched with an 8-4 victory over the Padres, manager Bruce Bochy called him back to join in on the fun and told Yusmeiro Petit that he’d be taking the bump in the series finale. But Timmy was unable to return to the stadium because of congestion on the streets of San Francisco.
Which, as Baggarly explains, is highly unfortunate:
Two years ago, Tim Lincecum was a holy terror to anyone with a hot microphone in a champagne-soaked clubhouse. He snuck enough four-letter words on the air to make the FCC blush.
But Saturday night, as the Giants celebrated another NL West title, Lincecum was nowhere to be found.
The 28-year-old has bounced back nicely from a dismal second half, boasting a 3.06 ERA and 79/34 K/BB ratio in 79 1/3 innings since the All-Star break. He’ll take his next turn in the rotation later this week.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 42
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut