Sep 24, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
He’s done for the season and is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks, but Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros are hoping Martinez will be ready to play winter ball.
Martinez had big numbers at Double-A last season and then held his own in a 53-game debut with the Astros, but the 24-year-old outfielder hit just .241 with 11 homers and a .685 OPS in 113 games for Houston this year and was terrible during his demotion to Triple-A.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)