Barry Zito won’t be left off Giants’ playoff roster this time

Sep 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Barry Zito Getty Images

Barry Zito was left off the playoff roster for all three rounds of the Giants’ championship run in 2010 despite throwing 199 innings with a 4.15 ERA during the regular season.

He has very similar numbers this season, throwing 172 innings with a 4.18 ERA, but manager Bruce Bochy said yesterday that he plans to include Zito on the postseason roster.

According to Bochy “the plan now” is to have all five starters on the roster, which means Zito will join Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, Tim Lincecum, and the suddenly struggling Ryan Vogelsong. Only three or maybe four of those guys will actually be needed to start playoff games, so presumably Zito will be around strictly as a long reliever or mop-up man.

He has six career relief appearances, four of them coming last season, but low-leverage bullpen work beats not even being on the roster for a guy with a $126 million contract.

1. nategearhart - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I find it very easy to root for Barry Zito, and I hope he can contribute this postseason. I don’t care how much money he’s making; it’s not my cash.

2. temporarilyexiled - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

And I’ve heard it may be that Zito is the fourth starter, with Vogelsong, who has more relief experience, coming in at the first sign of trouble. I can easily see the pitching staff doing just about anything in October, from acting like it’s 2010, to spontaneously combusting. We’ll know soon.

• sometimesimisscandlestick - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That scenario makes the most sense to me. Zito has had a better year than 2010 and just looks sharper lately. Vogelsong deserves to be on the roster and he can fit into a long relief roll.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM

3. sometimesimisscandlestick - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

***I’ll assume your screen name has to do with those moments when you realize you’ve spent too long in the sauna. While I remember the joy of moving down to better, previously empty seats with regularity, I don’t miss long bus rides to an ugly neighborhood, and oh yeah, freezing my balls off before they were useful. Come to think of it, I do miss being a kid way back when, because it was safe to go all over the place at a young age. I can’t even imagine letting my kids do some of the things I did every day.***

You’ve nailed my screen name – my parents let me take the bus to the ‘stick by myself (although 90% of the time I was with friends) when I was as young as 10. A different time…

But I also still have oodles of my Croix de Candlesticks around the house along with a couple of incomplete score cards with a note that it got to cold to continue to score the game.

4. seankav - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Miss Candlestick too. There was a tree too close to the wall as you walked down the hill (right field side) that gave me a season ticket to Giants/Niners as a teenager!

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3981)