Sep 24, 2012, 8:21 PM EST
Losers of nine straight games entering play tonight, the Rockies are *literally limping to the finish line.
Carlos Gonzalez is out of the starting lineup tonight for the sixth time in the past seven games due to a strained left hamstring. According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Gonzalez underwent an MRI today and could potentially be shut down for the rest of the season.
Gonzalez grounded into a fielder’s choice during a pinch-hit appearance yesterday, after which he told Owen Perkins of MLB.com his hamstring was “not very good.” The Rockies are buried in last place in the National League West at 58-94, so there’s little reason to bring him back if he’s not making progress.
While we might not see Gonzalez again this year, Troy Tulowitzki could head into the offseason with some peace of mind. The 27-year-old shortstop took batting practice before tonight’s game and remains on track to be activated for the final couple games of the regular season. He hasn’t played a game with the Rockies since May 30 due to a groin injury which required surgery.
*Seriously, try using “literally” in a sentence without thinking about Chris Traeger. It’s impossible.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 0
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 43
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)