Sep 24, 2012, 8:21 PM EDT
Losers of nine straight games entering play tonight, the Rockies are *literally limping to the finish line.
Carlos Gonzalez is out of the starting lineup tonight for the sixth time in the past seven games due to a strained left hamstring. According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Gonzalez underwent an MRI today and could potentially be shut down for the rest of the season.
Gonzalez grounded into a fielder’s choice during a pinch-hit appearance yesterday, after which he told Owen Perkins of MLB.com his hamstring was “not very good.” The Rockies are buried in last place in the National League West at 58-94, so there’s little reason to bring him back if he’s not making progress.
While we might not see Gonzalez again this year, Troy Tulowitzki could head into the offseason with some peace of mind. The 27-year-old shortstop took batting practice before tonight’s game and remains on track to be activated for the final couple games of the regular season. He hasn’t played a game with the Rockies since May 30 due to a groin injury which required surgery.
*Seriously, try using “literally” in a sentence without thinking about Chris Traeger. It’s impossible.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)