Sep 24, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Meanwhile, the Yankees and the Orioles have been winning and losing practically in tandem. They haven’t been separated by more than one game in the standings since Sept. 3. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that’s the longest such streak in September or later since 1889 .
That’s cool, and I like that two teams are in a fight for the division title and that it matters.
There are other factoids in that piece, mostly surrounding the scramble for the wild card. I think that’s all fun, but in reality, most of the these sorts of things — team comes from the farthest back! — are the product of expanded playoffs and the notion that it is now the case that even the mildly-above-average will have a legit shot until the final week almost every year.
It’s excitement of a type, but it’s a function of the process, not a function of baseball teams doing anything different than they ever have before.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)