Sep 24, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
I hadn’t thought about it much, but someone on Twitter said it to me this morning and it’s hard to deny it, even if you set aside your pro-baseball prejudices:
Between the hockey lockout, the NFL referee lockout and other drama and the fact that the NBA seems to be turning into some sort of weird league in which there are four or five Harlem Globetrotter teams and the rest are Washington Generals, there is a pretty damn strong argument that Bud Selig is the best commissioner in the major sports.
Sure, we can all sharpshoot problems like the A’s/San Jose thing, TV blackouts and instant replay stuff. But there really isn’t one problem in all of baseballdom right now that goes to the center of the leagues viability, popularity or competitive integrity. And no other sport can say the same.
All hail Bud.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (127)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)