Sep 24, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
I hadn’t thought about it much, but someone on Twitter said it to me this morning and it’s hard to deny it, even if you set aside your pro-baseball prejudices:
Between the hockey lockout, the NFL referee lockout and other drama and the fact that the NBA seems to be turning into some sort of weird league in which there are four or five Harlem Globetrotter teams and the rest are Washington Generals, there is a pretty damn strong argument that Bud Selig is the best commissioner in the major sports.
Sure, we can all sharpshoot problems like the A’s/San Jose thing, TV blackouts and instant replay stuff. But there really isn’t one problem in all of baseballdom right now that goes to the center of the leagues viability, popularity or competitive integrity. And no other sport can say the same.
All hail Bud.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 4
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 39
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 79
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 9
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 66
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)