Sep 24, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
I hadn’t thought about it much, but someone on Twitter said it to me this morning and it’s hard to deny it, even if you set aside your pro-baseball prejudices:
Between the hockey lockout, the NFL referee lockout and other drama and the fact that the NBA seems to be turning into some sort of weird league in which there are four or five Harlem Globetrotter teams and the rest are Washington Generals, there is a pretty damn strong argument that Bud Selig is the best commissioner in the major sports.
Sure, we can all sharpshoot problems like the A’s/San Jose thing, TV blackouts and instant replay stuff. But there really isn’t one problem in all of baseballdom right now that goes to the center of the leagues viability, popularity or competitive integrity. And no other sport can say the same.
All hail Bud.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)