Heath Bell on Ozzie Guillen: “It’s hard to respect a guy that doesn’t tell you the truth”

Sep 24, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

Heath Bell

Heath Bell made a local radio appearance on “The Dan Sileo Show” in Miami today and had some not-so-nice things to say about Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen.

“It’s hard to respect a guy that doesn’t tell you the truth or doesn’t tell you face to face,” Bell said on 560-WQAM. “There’s probably reasons why.”

Bell is upset with how his demotion from the closer role was handled and with his lack of an opportunity to reclaim the job despite pitching fairly well of late:

I stunk in April, plain and simple. I said I stunk, I worked hard, I busted my butt. I think I’ve had a tremendous second half. I’m not closing–I know that. But I just kept my mouth shut because I want to regain what I had, and I feel like I can’t do that. …

It’s just one of those things that–what you see is what you get. I’m not going to be two-faced. I’m not going to sneak around your back and say this and that.

Ripping someone on the radio doesn’t count as “around your back” does it? Just double-checking.

Bell’s beef with Guillen is no surprise, as the Showtime cameras captured the two of them having a relatively heated discussion in the manager’s office before “The Franchise” reality series was canceled earlier this season.

Bell has a 5.19 ERA overall this season, but since being stripped of closing duties in June he’s thrown 26 innings with a 3.12 ERA and 25/7 K/BB ratio. He’s owed $9 million next season and $9 million in 2014, so odds are whether Guillen is still the Marlins’ manager or not Bell will get another crack at ninth-inning duties.

I hope Hanley Ramirez and Fredi Gonzalez are getting a good chuckle out of all this, at least.

1. Old Gator - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Uglierer and uglierer.

• scratchnsniffnblog - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Matches the new uniforms.

2. deathmonkey41 - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

As the ballpark turns…

• ajcardsfan - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I’d go with The Old and the Pitiful

• El Bravo - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM

General Losspital?

3. cosanostra71 - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM

So Heath Bell is calling out Ozzie Guillen for not telling you things face-to-face… by going behind his back and complaining about it on the radio?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I hear what you (and a few others) are saying Cosanostra. He certainly didn’t say it to Ozzie’s face.
      But I gotta’ feeling the word is going to get back to Ozzie real quick with him airing his dirty laundry on the Radio. Hell…Ozzie is probably already well aware of it.
      As a result, I don’t necessarily consider this going behind Ozzie’s back.

• cosanostra71 - Sep 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I guess saying “behind his back” isn’t correct. He definitely didn’t say it face to face though, which was my point.

4. baseballisboring - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’m not sure what he’s saying Ozzie was dishonest about, though. If you watched that Franchise episode, before Bell got demoted, the conversation they had in Ozzie’s office was basically him saying “I’m sticking with you. Everyone wants you fired. The owners, my wife, my kids, everybody, but I’m sticking with you.” Then Bell thanked him and walked out of the office. Probably a few weeks later he ended up losing the job, and Cishek has pitched pretty well.

If Ozzie thinks Cishek is the right guy for the job, then good for him not letting Bell’s salary and “proven closer” status affect the way he manages. Bell’s comments are rather cryptic, and uh, yeah, definitely not to Ozzie’s face.

• baseballisboring - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Ozzie’s been accused of a lot of things, but…dishonesty? You’re talking about the guy that said “I love Fidel Castro” as the brand new manager of a team in Miami.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I’m not saying he’s wrong but he’s certainly not doing anything to help the situation. Sounds like he’s blaming Ozzie alone for his own and the teams struggles this season.

6. bloodysock - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Looks like the Red Sox have some competition for dysfunction.

• dwrek5 - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Might need a 1 game playoff to determine who can enter the realm of most dysfunctional.

• sonofdarrenbanks - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM

The only reason Bobby V. hasn’t pulled a “look at me” move yet is because it is an off-day. I give him until 4pm tomorrow (normal arrival time on game day). All of this Marlins attention is killing him!

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

The Beanbags have no competition. This is strictly smalltime.

7. chill1184 - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM

In the words of Terrell Owens; Get your popcorn ready

• El Bravo - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

TO always did have a way with words.

• Old Gator - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I always had a way with popcorn.

8. rcali - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Mr. Bell, the Marlins would appreciate it if you just quit so they could get their wasted money back.

9. djpostl - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Bell’s a friggin’ joke. Stop suckin’ monkey balls & maybe, just maybe you can earn the closer spot back next season.

Let the kid keep closing and get some valuable experience, thus making the team even better next year. Moving Bell, who would be a marginal upgrade even using only his 2d half stats, back into the closers role does nothing except stroke his ego.

He can use the piles of money he should be giving back to do that.

10. vallewho - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I love it when morons gets upset and start spewing-off!

11. spudatx - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Are there any Marlins fans left on the face of the Earth? #mostdisappointingsearchever

12. paperlions - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

To paraphrase, “It is hard to respect a guy that can’t properly conjugate the verb to be or that says ‘reasons why’.”

“There is a reason.” or “There are reasons.”….and reasons are why, you don’t have to say it twice.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Thanks Mrs. Reynolds!
      Joking of course. Sorry Paper…I couldn’t resist.

13. sisqsage - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

That Franchise episode was pretty funny. Ozzie, leaning back in his chair, is looking up at the ceiling, as Bell is pouring out his soul, and thinking like “I can’t beleive we are having this conversation.”

Bell looked weak and even weaker now. Grow a pair.

That Marlins dugout and clubhouse is going to be a hoot the last week or so of the season.

14. brianjoates - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Tickets are being sold for .50 cents. Bell wants out of town, and the Marlins will find a taker. It would be stupid of the Marlins to can Ozzie, but he is chirping aswell. Loria and his sidekick David are scumbags for what they did to Dade County.

15. kappy32 - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Heath Bell has an awful lot to say for a guy who has mustered only a few good seasons. Last time I checked, Ozzie was a rather successful player, having a playing career that Bell could only dream of having, and has gone on to be a pretty successful manager. Last time I checked, it was Ozzie who had the World Series Ring; they don’t give them out to last place teams like the ones Bell has languished on. This fat bastard is complaining about how he “worked his butt off” but wasn’t able to regain his closer’s role after doing everything he could the first half of the season to bury the Marlins. How about this, Heath? You are now a multi-millionaire after the Marlins gave you possibly the worst contract in the history of their franchise & that alone should be enough for you to “work your butt off” every single day that you are a member of that team. Closer or not, you have an obligation to Mr. Loria, the man who signs your bloated check; Mr. Hill & Mr. Beinfest, the “co-GMs” who very likely will be losing their jobs in a few weeks primarily due to offering you a ridiculous contract; your teammates, the majority of whom go out there & “work their butts off” for a minúte fraction of what you make; and the fans, who traveled to that spaceship looking stadium to watch you blow lead after lead the first half, spend at least $150 on tickets & concessions, and are a large supplemental asset used to pay your aforementioned bloated contract. Last time I checked, Ozzie stuck with Bell for a significant amount of time longer than he ever should have & repeatedly told him he had faith in him. Want to talk about being honest? Bell was the one who promised Ozzie that he was turning a corner, about to pick things up, only to go out & blow 3 straight saves, 2 of which were 3 run leads, forcing Ozzie to remove him. Bell has no one to blame but himself for being demoted & not getting “his job” back. I am a big Mets fan & I was extremely happy when he left that team because all he did was complain that he wasn’t given a fair shot then once they did give him one, he was extremely underwhelming. That canyon called Petco Park is the only reason why anyone knows Heath Bell’s name. Maybe the Marlins can trade him to the Sugarland Skeeters for Clemens because as far as I’m concerned, Clemens has more credibility than this fat clown.

Three legends off to Cooperstown