Ichiro, Jason Motte are your players of the week

Sep 24, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Seattle Mariners Getty Images

I get the press release each week, don’t post about the Players of the Week each week. But it’s slow now and if I don’t post about this I’m just gonna put up more political crap and then no one wins. Well, except me because I love trolling people, but you all would hate it.

Your AL Player of the week: Ichiro. Who woke up from his recent slumber and went 15 for 25 with three doubles, two homers and six stolen bases. It’s like it’s 2004 all over again.

In the NL it’s Cardinals closer Jason Motte. All he did was save five games — all five of the Cardinals wins last week — without allowing an earned run.  Last year around this time is when the Cardinals bullpen really began to gel, by the way. Just saying.

Congrats Ichiro and Jason.  I hope you use your gift cards well.

1. levistahl - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Watching Motte v. Rizzo at Wrigley on Saturday was great fun. Motte hit 100 twice, once on a wasted up-and-away ball, and once for swinging strike 2. Combined with Rizzo’s giant swing, it felt like power baseball at its best.

2. Francisco (FC) - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Wait a minute, wasn’t it around this time last year you were all hung on how the Cardinal’s Bullpen Was Really Bad? I distinctly remember you on video arguing with someone else and stating how the Cardinal’s BP was shaky and that’s why you preferred Philly in the 2011 NLDS. Incidentally you also picked Philly to win the WS last year. This reminds me, you also picked Philly to win the division this year. Craig, STOP PICKING THE PHILLIES!

• The Rabbit - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Hey FC,
      You have to be wrong about this. (and yes, I know you aren’t.)
      He couldn’t have picked the Phillies and said anything remotely complimentary about the pitching staff because…you know…he hates them. Just ask the loonier members of the fanbase.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM

But his massive crush on Chuck offsets any of that.

3. thefalcon123 - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Motte got one of those saves by making 2 outs with a 5 run lead.

Apparently coming in with one out and the bases loaded with a 5 run lead is a save situation. Which is just one of a myriad of reasons why the save is a silly, silly stat.

• forsch31 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Yeah, because coming out with the bases loaded with one out and shutting the door with two strikeouts is meaningless and completely unimpressive.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Really, I said it was meaningless?

No, I think what I said is that saves are a silly stat. That Motte earning a save for getting two outs with a 5 run lead is something virtually any modicum of talent would succeed in doing.

Also, the save is not handed out because he got two strikeouts. It because *he didn’t cough up a 5 run lead*. Ad yes, that is very stupid.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Here’s a little bit of education you are so dearly in need of on the subject of the save and why is it one of baseball’s most meaningless statistics.

4. cur68 - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Whaddyamean “I’m just gonna put up more political crap and then no one wins”???? I win, man! I LOVE your political process, especially around election time. It is the BEST reality TV I’ve ever seen. Then, when you Jawwa Lookin people post it here on HBT, especially in the sanctity of a post topic, well the sturm. The drang. Love it. The nuts all come out to play.

And frankly this is good. Good for those that are not nuts to get our angry on just so we can prove that we can still get mad. Also good for the nuts to get a good metaphorical kick once in a while. Most importantly to me its good because then when I feel like I should just move out to the woods with my rifle and dog, put up a bunch of signs threatening violence against whomever irks me that day, and work on my “manifesto”, I can see that there ARE some decent folks in the world. People who aren’t blinded by ideology & hate just to be hating. In fact by far the best posts involve the reasonable people getting all worked up at the loud obnoxious odious ones.

Post more political stuff Craig. Its by far your best work in baiting.

• natstowngreg - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Reality? Um, no.

Craig polluted ATH with politics this AM. He owes it to his fellow Americans to hold off, at least until tomorrow.

• IdahoMariner - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM

What cur said, times two.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Then, when you Jawwa Lookin

Hey, what do you mean, you people?

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Jawas. I mean. They are trying to take over the world you know. Gotta keep an eye on them Jawas.

• The Rabbit - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Of course, you love our political process. You live in CANADA. I’d enjoy it, too, if I lived in Canada.
      Unfortunately, I’m stuck here having to listen to cretins who “know everything” about economics and finance after listening to 3 sound bites of cherry picked stats related completely out of context. Oy….

On to a much more interesting topic, meet you on league chat for the Beaver/O’s part 2.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Deal. Gonna be late, but I’ll be there.

5. Brian Donohue - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM

More political crap now!!! Or, as Mitten would say, “plus de merde politique.”

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Ahh the French have such a way with words…

• Utley's Hair - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM

My French sucks, but didn’t you just say something about murdering politicians?

Three legends off to Cooperstown