Josh Hamilton back in Rangers lineup, blames caffeine and sports drinks for vision problems

Sep 24, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton AP AP

After missing the past five-and-a-half games with what was initially called a sinus infection and subsequent vision problems Josh Hamilton is back in the Rangers’ lineup tonight against the A’s.

However, the diagnosis has changed somewhat. According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas the Rangers “say Hamilton has ocular keratitis, which is blurred vision from too much caffeine and sports drinks” and “the cornea dries because of it.”

Well, that’s certainly a new one (and presumably unrelated to his tobacco issues from last month). Johns Hopkins’ website has a whole lot more information on Hamilton’s condition if you’re interested.

Craig Gentry filled in for Hamilton, starting all five games in center field with Nelson Cruz and David Murphy in the outfield corners. Hamilton is batting third and playing center field tonight and he’ll try to reclaim the AL home run lead after Miguel Cabrera tied him over the weekend. Hamilton, who has 42 homers in 138 games compared to 42 homers in 151 games for Cabrera, also ranks second among AL hitters with 123 RBIs behind Cabrera’s league-leading 133.

1. mattyflex - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I’m all supportive of the clean return of Josh Hamilton, but a month ago he was hitting .200 because of a tobacco addiction, and now he has headaches from coca-cola. If he has a bad playoff series, it will be blamed on Texas Roadhouse flatulence.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM

now he has headaches from coca-cola

I’m guessing you’ve never experienced a caffeine overdose. Drink a couple of the monster/rockstar drinks and then add a few cups of coffee and you’ll see. Add a couple more after the headaches start and you’ll most likely pass out due to an overdose.

• js20011041 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM

How do you overdose on caffeine? You don’t accidentally drink 6 redbulls and 4 pots of coffee.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM

People do it all the time. The symptoms are so dirt common that they don’t realize that’s what it is. Its headaches and dryness. You can do it with coffee if you’re not careful.

• raysfan1 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I once landed in the ER because of too much caffeine.

• mattyflex - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I was unaware of such a thing, but now that I am, the point seems moot. Josh Hamilton’s behavior history has caused himto be monitored in so many different areas, how can diet not be one of them?

also, I really, really enjoyed js20011041′s comment. really.

2. skerney - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I want to like Josh Hamilton. He is really great at baseball. He plays the game very hard. He has horrible addictions that many people in his position could not handle. He overcame/ struggles with so much. But man, the weirdness that sometimes surrounds him is baffling.

• thebadguyswon - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM

It is weird. What’s next? A pesky Pez habit that causes him to run poor routes in the outfield?

3. baseballisboring - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Waiting for the first single IQ dummy to say “Caffeine and sports drink, huhhh…?”

4. ezthinking - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Would someone get this guy a bubble to live in?

He just lost $25 mil on his next contract with this one.

5. spudatx - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Josh, could you share with us how much “caffeine and sports drinks” I can safely consume before going blind?

• raysfan1 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Different people have different levels of sensitivity. I know you post was all snark, but it only takes me having one caffeinated beverage a day for 4-5 days before I start having heart palpitations.

6. El Bravo - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

“Well, that’s certainly a new one. ” Actually, it is not a new one. Brian McCann had the same vision issues for some time and after many tests, glasses, contacts, etc, he realized it was too much caffeine causing said issues.

• StottsEra - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM

link to mccann article

7. tfbuckfutter - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I was going to make a snarky comment about this and his “tobacco slump”…..but let’s face it, the guy is a raging addict so even though it sounds goofy that “oh he’s having too much Monster”….he probably is having a shit ton of Monster….BECAUSE he’s a raging addict.

• lumpyf - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Yeah, he has seriously struggled with every vice over the course of his life..drugs, booze, caffeine, tobacco, religion. Nothing in moderation is his mantra.

• raysfan1 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

So, you feel Christianity is a vice, eh?

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM

raysfan, I think he was making a bit of a joke, but religion can affect certain people and have them use it like a crutch, much like other addictions, yes.

That’s actually kind of the thing with a lot of addicts, they have to distract themselves by applying their addictive personality to something that is (at least perceived as) a positive.

But even positive things, when done in excess, can become negatives. There is a form of anorexia that manifests itself as compulsive exercising. Or washing one’s hands (a good thing) done excessively and obsessively is a bad thing.

Anything done compulsively is a bad thing.

8. kevinbnyc - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

How much coffee do you have to plow through to have eye issues?

• Sign Ahead - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Once you develop a sensitivity, it doesn’t take much. I used to keep a cup of coffee on my desk throughout the workday, until caffeine started triggering ocular migraines (they’re like painless, slow-moving blind spots that last for about 30 minutes). Now all it takes is half a can of Coke to cause problems.

Once you know the cause of the problem, it’s easy to avoid. But until you do it can be very frustrating.

• sirrealrainman - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Can’t believe people thumbs down stuff like this.
        Like you, I drank caffeine like anybody else. Now I have to avoid it.
        A decaf mocha is like a caffeinated mocha for me.
        It can be frustrating – especially before I learned that even the dentist can be an issue (I have to have non-eppi novocaine. Learned that the very hard way.)

• thebadguyswon - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I drink a pot a day. But I’m already near-sighted, so I don’t care. I wouldn’t feed a Monster to my worst enemy. That stuff is heinous.

9. crnvic847 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Why are there only 3-4 posts on Hardball talk per day? I mean on pro hockey talk there are twice as many and they are locked out for Christ sake!! Pro basketball talk? About 10-12 posts per day and it’s the offseason!!!! There are close division races going on in the MLB and we don’t hear anything about them on here! What gives?!?

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

er…I think the problems at your end my friend. There are nearly 20 posts a day on HBT. Have you gone right to the bottom of this page and looked at the numbers there? Those are page numbers. Page back to the post called And That Happened and count up. You’ll get way past 3 0r 4 posts

10. sportsguygerald - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Wasn’t anything wrong with his eyesight with that upper deck shot he hit in the 5th. Looked like a golfball leaving the bat

11. chumthumper - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I had oral glaucoma once. I just couldn’t see my ass getting out of bed to go to work.

12. papacrick - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Sounds like he was trying to achieve that cocaine buzz in a legal manner.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5053)