Sep 24, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Kerry Wood was back at Wrigley Field over the weekend for a ceremony honoring his Cubs career and it sounds like the recently retired right-hander will eventually be rejoining the organization in some capacity.
“We’ve kicked some ideas around, met with and talked to Theo [Epstein] about it,” Wood said, via Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Chicago. “We’re all kinda on the same page and I’m sure we’ll get something done soon and work out all the details. Definitely want to be around and definitely want to be involved.”
Wood, who retired in mid-May, liked playing for the Cubs so much that he turned down bigger contract offers to return as a free agent in 2011 and has talked previously about thinking highly of Theo Epstein in general.
He also mentioned wanting to see the Cubs bring Sammy Sosa back into the fold at some point, but those odds seem quite a bit longer.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (130)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)