Sep 24, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Kerry Wood was back at Wrigley Field over the weekend for a ceremony honoring his Cubs career and it sounds like the recently retired right-hander will eventually be rejoining the organization in some capacity.
“We’ve kicked some ideas around, met with and talked to Theo [Epstein] about it,” Wood said, via Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Chicago. “We’re all kinda on the same page and I’m sure we’ll get something done soon and work out all the details. Definitely want to be around and definitely want to be involved.”
Wood, who retired in mid-May, liked playing for the Cubs so much that he turned down bigger contract offers to return as a free agent in 2011 and has talked previously about thinking highly of Theo Epstein in general.
He also mentioned wanting to see the Cubs bring Sammy Sosa back into the fold at some point, but those odds seem quite a bit longer.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)