Sep 24, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Michael Bourn has made a habit of telling his Braves teammates not to slide head-first, but now the center fielder has a thumb injury because he didn’t follow his own advice.
Bourn hurt his thumb head-first sliding Saturday and sat out yesterday’s game because it was sore and swollen. He’s hoping to rejoin the lineup Tuesday, but that’s no sure thing.
And as Bourn told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, he feels pretty silly about it:
I know, and that’s what I tell them all the time–don’t slide head-first. And look what I did. Sliding head-first. I’ve done it before where I tore my ligament. I was just thinking, get to second, because I wanted us to continue to hit. Last thing I wanted was to get out right there, so in my head I was thinking to get to the bag. I knew I was going too fast. I don’t like to slide head-first, and that’s the reason why. It’s too risky. You go in too fast with your hands and you’ll [get hurt] more. Go in with your feet, you have a better chance.
Bourn actually remained in the game and later doubled, but now he’s slated to be examined by a hand specialist.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)