Pick a side, everyone: Jeff Loria calls Fredi Gonzalez “classless”

Sep 24, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT

Jeffrey Loria

The claws are out between Marlins owner Jeff Loria and Braves manager — and former Marlins manager — Fredi Gonzalez:

Jeffrey Loria is outraged with Fredi Gonzalez’s published comments in which the former Marlins manager said that no manager ever seems to please the owner. Gonzalez, who manages the Atlanta Braves, was quoted in Sunday’s Miami Herald as saying: “There’s not a manager dead or alive that Jeffrey thinks is good enough. Not Connie Mack, not anyone.”

Loria said that if Gonzalez made those comments, “I’m a little surprised because it’s classless — and you can quote me — especially because he was with us for five years and he was a colossal failure. Not nice. Not nice.”

I’m not the biggest Fredi Gonzalez fan in the world, but it’s worth noting that Fredi has somehow been successful since leaving Miami. Even last year’s epic collapse constituted a better overall season than the Marlins have experienced in close to a decade.

And Gonzalez’s basic point — that Loria can’t be happy with anyone — will be borne out if he fires Ozzie Guillen after one season.  Because say what you want about Guillen, but he’s not the biggest problem with that team and that organization. The White Sox showed that you can win that guy, just like the Braves have shown they can win with Gonzalez.  And the Yankees with Joe Girardi. And on and on.

1. natslady - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Wait–there are two sides?

2. dlf9 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

especially because he was with us for five years and he was a colossal failure.

Add basic math to the subjects with which Loria struggles. Fredi managed the Fish for less than four years. His three full seasons showed continual improvement with winning percentages going from .438 (5th place), .522 (3rd), and .537 (2nd). Then, in year four, Loria and Sampson cut Gonzalez’s feet out from under him when he tried to discipline Hanley Ramirez for loafing.

3. plmathfoto - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Just to add on here, where’s the list of managers Loria did get along with?

Oh wait, there it is.

Joe Girardi was very succesful as the Marlins manager and left because he clashed with…Loria

4. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Fredi may come off as dense from time to time, but he was pretty well on point in these particular remarks.

I just don’t think “classless” is terminology a human scrotum like Jeff Loria should be bandying about too freely … at least not before taking a good long look in the mirror.

5. natslady - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It’s a chilly rainy night in DC, and radar shows it’s not going to let up for a while. Atlanta is losing 9-4 in the 6th inning. Ump calls Fredi out of the dugout, “How about we call this one?” Fredi shakes his head. Game goes to extas and ATL wins 11-10. Fredi out-managed and out-toughed Davey Johnson that night, and taught the Nats a bitter lesson.

We see a lot of Fredi. His players seem to love him. He’s learned a lot from last year about managing his bullpen. His team is the best of the WC bunch, and still has a slight chance for the Division. Loria—yuck.

6. bravojawja - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM

“Not nice”? My friends used to say that to scold their toddlers when the kids called each other “poopie pants.”

You’re a poopie pants, Mr. Loria.

7. gpatrick15 - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I’ve had my beef with Gonzalez replacing Cox. And many of my arguments against him were justified last season. But this season, my displeasure with Fat Fredi has been tempered. He’s actually somewhat of a decent manager. He has the Braves in contention, and this year they have as good a chance of winning as most teams in the NL, so long as they get past that one game playoff. The jury is still out as to whether he was the right choice to replace a legend, but I think he’s shut up a lot of people. Plus, Loria may have locked up “Worst Owner in the MLB” years ago. He can’t call anyone classless.

8. Utley's Hair - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Cue Old Gator…Old Gator to the keyboard…Old Gator to the keyboard, STAT!!!!!

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I imagine he’ll be along as soon as he’s done putting to e-ink just how much he loathes Loria. Could take some time.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

He probably hasn’t stopped laughing since seeing this article. Or he died from shock. Dear god I hope it isn’t the latter. That man is a national treasure.

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Why does all this good stuff happen while I’m otherwise occupied – but yeah, I’ve been laughing ever since I read this on my cellphone browser this morning while stuck in traffic on Macondo’s world-famous Palmetto Expressway. Poor misunderstood Scrooge McLoria. To watch him and Fat Fredi claw each other’s eyes out is the next best thing to watching Un chien Andalou on pharmaceutical grade cough medicine.

9. Utley's Hair - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

And I love how people say “You can quote me on that.” Um…yeah…

10. pisano - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM

If this isn’t a classic case of “The calling the kettle black”, I don’t know what is. Gator, where are you?

11. pisano - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Correction= “The pot calling the kettle black”

12. chill1184 - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Do we really have to pick a side or can we just hope some random void opens up and swallows both of them?

13. realgone2 - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Loria would certainly know a lot about being classless.

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It’s hard to imagine what he doesn’t know about being classless. I bet he even eats Ethiopian food with his hands. Dear Buddha, I understand why Vincent Price thought he’d be fun to cuddle up to, but what did Charles Schultz ever see in this guy?

Urrrrppppp.

‘Scuse me. Ethiopian food….

14. Francisco (FC) - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Paper will probably be the first to tell you Managers have limited influence on the team. Go from a bad team to a good team and you will be successful. I dare say a less incompetent manager might have seen the braves not collapse, or not.

Freddi still has a point but it’s tough to not have success when you have the pitching the Braves have and you’ve got Chipper half the time in your line-up.

• paperlions - Sep 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I can’t be the first, because you already said it. Give a manager good players and all but the worst of them will be fine (the exceptions being guys that go out of their way to create distractions and piss off their own players and coaches)….give a manager crappy players and none of them will win.

Managers have a lot more ability to do harm than good, the best you can hope for is one that doesn’t do a lot of harm.

15. townballblog - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I don’t think anything said qualified as “nice” but I DO think this is as close as Craig has been to saying something “nice” about Freddi Gonzalez.

Pigs aren’t flying…..but they’re trying

16. mississippimusicman - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM

This may be the only team ever where people dream of one day being bought out by Time Warner.

17. yahmule - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM

They both suck, but Loria sucks harder.

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Hey, that guy can suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM

The chrome off a trailer hitch.

18. xmatt0926x - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM

He wouldn’t like Connie Mack? Now that’s just bad. Show me a better dressed manager.

19. simon94022 - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Being called classless by Jeffrey Loria is like being accused of loose morals by Paris Hilton.

• mazblast - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Nicely put. I was going to say Kim Kardashian, but Paris Hilton is pretty much the same thing, only with a bigger nose, skinny legs, and without a rear end you could practice carrier landings on.

20. butchhuskey - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Jeffrey Loria is the epitome of a scumbag

21. professor30 - Sep 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I’m going to side with Fredi just because of Loria’s hair style, that’s why they make clippers.

22. sabatimus - Sep 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Gee look: somebody made a pottle-kettle comment already. Stole my thunder ;p

23. sumerduckman - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Jeff Loria, one of the few people on the planet that can make Redskin fans thankfull that they have Danny Snyder as an owner.

24. jashton11 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Looks like Ozzie has picked his side.

25. jolink653 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Loria is one of the worst owners in sports…He was one of the main owners complaining about the balance of revenue and how the big market teams get so much more, causing MLB to create the revenue sharing program now in place and what does he do with the luxury tax money? Sticks it in his pocket and puts nothing back into the team…He wins a couple World Series and then immediately strips down those teams to save himself money…I’m surprised Guillen doesn’t just leave and find another job

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto