Sep 24, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
Rafael Furcal is currently rehabbing a strained ligament in his right elbow. He was originally given a 4-6 week timetable, which left open the long shot possibility that he could return if club goes on another deep run in the postseason, but the Cardinals closed that window today.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has officially ruled Furcal out for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs.
Furcal received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow on September 4, but has yet to resume throwing. Mozeliak still believes he’ll be able to avoid surgery, but said the clock simply “was not on our side” for him to contribute again this year. The 34-year-old shortstop batted .264 with five homers, 12 steals, and a .671 OPS in 121 games this season and is under contract for $7 million in 2013.
2007 first-round pick Pete Kozma has emerged as the starting shortstop in Furcal’s absence. The 24-year-old launched his first major league home run in yesterday’s win over the Cubs and has another one tonight against the Astros.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)