Sep 24, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
Rafael Furcal is currently rehabbing a strained ligament in his right elbow. He was originally given a 4-6 week timetable, which left open the long shot possibility that he could return if club goes on another deep run in the postseason, but the Cardinals closed that window today.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has officially ruled Furcal out for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs.
Furcal received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow on September 4, but has yet to resume throwing. Mozeliak still believes he’ll be able to avoid surgery, but said the clock simply “was not on our side” for him to contribute again this year. The 34-year-old shortstop batted .264 with five homers, 12 steals, and a .671 OPS in 121 games this season and is under contract for $7 million in 2013.
2007 first-round pick Pete Kozma has emerged as the starting shortstop in Furcal’s absence. The 24-year-old launched his first major league home run in yesterday’s win over the Cubs and has another one tonight against the Astros.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 43
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 56
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 45
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)