What is Baseball-Reference.com going to do with Melky’s non-batting title?

Sep 24, 2012, 5:33 PM EST

Melky Cabrera Reuters

When I first heard that Major League Baseball decided to pretend that Melky Cabrera would not be the 2012 NL batting champion despite the fact that the Rules of Major League Baseball clearly say that he should be, I got mad and wrote a bunch of stuff.

The second thing I did?  I wondered what Sean Forman over at Baseball-Reference.com was going to do about it.

While Baseball-Reference.com is not the official keeper of the records of Major League Baseball, it is the defacto keeper. Especially for the online folks us. And as we a week or two ago when we talked about the all-time hits list, there can be some variation between its records and the official ones of Major League Baseball.  So: is Mr. Forman going to give Melky Cabrera that black ink and include him in the league leaders, or not?

Sean speaks.

1. elmaquino - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

THat’s the funny thing about all this commotion over who the batting title winner is: It’s just a title. There are no trophies or cash prizes or cool cars being given to the winner.

Melky, Selig, and whoever wants to play along can say that he didn’t have the highest batting average in 2012, but in the end, the stats will say differently.

• donniebb23 - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Players have performance clauses in their contracts related to winning batting titles, MVP’s, etc no? I’m sure the bonus for the batting title isn’t much (by comparison to overall salary at least), but $25-50k or whatever is still $25-50k.

• elmaquino - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I doubt Melky had a batting title bonus on a one-year, $6m deal.

2. spedman24 - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

No way, he is out

3. vanmorrissey - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

“*Asterisk”

4. thomas2727 - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I have watched every Giants game this season and I don’t remember them having a player named Melky Cabrera.

• sabatimus - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Leo Nunez’s cousin?

5. ezthinking - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

If Cutch would just go 20 for 42 in the last ten games it’s a moot issue. Come on Cutch!

• frank433 - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I thought that when he was suspended that someone needed to pass him. If Melky really cared about his public perception, or wanted to take the “moral high ground” he would have requested to be removed from the batting race the same day he issued a statement after his suspension. He didn’t do this for the right reasons. MLB should have left him elgible and let this hang over his head.

6. brazcubas - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I think Sean managed to make the best of a bad situation. I found reference to “shenanigans” in the 1910 batting title especially apt, considering the above-the-board shenanigans that led to Melky withdrawing from contention.

7. skerney - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Brannigans Law: No Backsies.

8. natsattack - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

If Cabrera wins the title there will be an asterix.
    If Cabrera “loses” the batting title, there will be an asterix.
    No easy way out.

9. proudlycanadian - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Who cares Craig?

• thefalcon123 - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM

You do, obviously. I mean, not only did you click on the link to read the article, you actually cared enough to burn lean tissue to write your comment.

10. fuddpucker - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I think if Melky was sincere he’d at least return that glass All-Star bat.

• hondoheaven47 - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

He doesn’t want to risk taking it out of its glass display case, I imagine.

11. gloccamorra - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:22 PM

It’s really no big deal. If General W.T. Sherman could issue a Sherman Statement ruling himself ineligible, then Melky can issue his own Melky Statement ruling himself ineligible too.

12. beavertonsteve - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Not awarding him the batting title is the easy way out. Awarding it to him ensures that every single time it is brought up everyone will be reminded of the circumstances.

13. ningenito78 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Beavertonsteve- I had not thought of that angle. Good point. I was all for him not getting the batting title but I actually never thought of that.

14. lostsok - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Would Melky had opted out if he hadn’t been caught?

15. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I like Craig a lot, I find him knowledgable and entertaining. And more importanly, he writes very well, excellent wordsmith. So please, save my the replies of “Darn you, Craig is so wonderful!! Don’t you dare mock him”. Okay then…..

Craig starts this with “When I first heard that ………I got mad and wrote a bunch of stuff.” I was just wondering everyone elses optionon, who many topics could say that about wih this guy? Maybe…..72% of what has happened in the past 3 years? ;)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4586)
  2. M. Kemp (3665)
  3. M. Cabrera (2881)
  4. J. Kang (2613)
  5. M. Morse (2580)
  1. J. Upton (2513)
  2. A. Rios (2206)
  3. C. Headley (2171)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2134)
  5. C. McGehee (1955)