Sep 24, 2012, 5:33 PM EST
When I first heard that Major League Baseball decided to pretend that Melky Cabrera would not be the 2012 NL batting champion despite the fact that the Rules of Major League Baseball clearly say that he should be, I got mad and wrote a bunch of stuff.
The second thing I did? I wondered what Sean Forman over at Baseball-Reference.com was going to do about it.
While Baseball-Reference.com is not the official keeper of the records of Major League Baseball, it is the defacto keeper. Especially for the online folks us. And as we a week or two ago when we talked about the all-time hits list, there can be some variation between its records and the official ones of Major League Baseball. So: is Mr. Forman going to give Melky Cabrera that black ink and include him in the league leaders, or not?
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)