Astros lose 104th game, clinch No. 1 pick, set record-low attendance on same night

Sep 25, 2012, 12:46 PM EST

astros logo wide

Even in a season full of tough days for the Astros yesterday stood out, as they lost for the 104th time to clinch MLB’s worst record along with the No. 1 pick in next year’s draft and also set the all-time attendance low at Minute Maid Park.

The announced crowd was 12,584 and overall this season the Astros rank last among NL teams in attendance while drawing 5,678 fewer fans per game than in 2011, when they also had MLB’s worst record. That represents a drop of nearly 450,000 total fans.

Oddly enough the Astros have actually been pretty decent in front of their diminished home crowds, at least compared to how they’ve played on the road. At home this season Houston is 34-45, compared to 16-59 on the road.

1. cur68 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Someone go check on Stex.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Over in the ATH section, Gator ran a line from “Nausea” by Sartre past us. Per life as as an Astros’ fan, that probably sums it up. In fact, if fans were going to the games, I would regard that as rewarding bad behavior by management. That is our best hope in the long run. Houston is not, in general, a good “fans” town. That is a good thing. If they are offered an inferior product, they walk with their entertainment dollar. Management can improve or die.

Cur, you asked yesterday about how I – as a fellow-follower of losers – was going through the playoffs. I didn’t reply until late last night, so you probably didn’t see. Emotionally, I have a long history with the Cards. As to likely, right now I see the Rangers and the Reds (with a nod to the Nats).

But I’m a lousy predictor. As to next year with the Astros, though, I can easily predict continued futility in a harder division.

• cur68 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Just glad you haven’t committed commenter’s seppuku (that’s where you pick your favourite saber stat, sharpen it to needle point and scalpel edge, and fall upon it. Very painful).

So you gots the Cards, eh? Fine. I see your Cards and raise you the Rangers. I see a repeat of last season’s WS. Why? Because that was a really good series, that’s why. I WANT to see that again. So I’m backing your boys at an emotional level. BUT, if you wanna step away from the id and go straight ego then I predict something different. I see this as the Reds and the Orioles. Younger, faster, better. With pitching.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I agree with the Reds as a real power. Don’t know enough about the Orioles. I don’t think the Yankees are built for a short series (unless Pettite can really keep it up). Nats, Cards and A’s look dangerous. But it’s hard to see past the Rangers in a short series. But what do I know?

I love baseball. It’s the best sport to me. But I have a great wife, a cool grandson, and am once retired and working a job I like for fun money. I’m going to tie my panties in a knot because the Astros are bad? Not in this life.

2. crispybasil - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Talk about winning the…TRIPLE CROWN!

3. paperlions - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Apparently not many from the StL area relocate to the Houston area.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I’m sure you know this, though many don’t. The old Houston Buffs were a StL minor league franchise. I also grew up admiring the Cards teams of the ’60’s (Gibson, etc.). And in spite of the buzz on a lot of this site, I regard Cards fans (in the stands, anyway) as some of the most intelligent baseball fans.

• paperlions - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Just joking…..I was kind of surprised I didn’t hear/see more Cardinal fans at the game last night….the crowd that was there seemed to be having a good time.

Good luck in the AL.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Yeah, I got it after my serious reply. But the Cards will still be my NL team.

4. boh930 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

looks like Mark Appel will be getting his degree from Stanford after all. Poor little fella

• zacksdad - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

5. nolanwiffle - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I believe the old baseball adage……you’re going to win 54, you’re going to lose 54, it’s what you do with that next 54 that matters.

We’re now approaching modern-era, historically bad territory.

6. unlost1 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

they got a ways to go to break the record of 134 losses

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Just glad they didn’t tie the Mets modern day record of 120. 112 is the worst they can do.

7. thefalcon123 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Until June 27th, Houston was merely a bad team, going 32-43.

Since then, they are 18-61. The .227 winning percentage is worse than that of the 62 Mets.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

The fire sale started in mid-July. Not that they were doing well when it started. They have, maybe, three to five players that belong on a MLB roster.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3225)
  2. J. Kang (3080)
  3. C. McGehee (2802)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2772)
  5. J. Upton (2758)