Sep 25, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
General manager John Mozeliak was pessimistic about the chances of either player returning from injury this season and in fact Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that he “all but extinguished hope” for Furcal’s return.
“The clock’s not on our side,” Mozeliak said about Furcal, who hasn’t played since injuring his elbow on August 30 and may eventually need surgery that comes with a six-month recovery timetable.
Berkman’s odds of returning are better, but Strauss reports that he’s yet to swing a bat since undergoing a second knee surgery and has toned down his recent optimism about potentially coming back.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)