Sep 25, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
General manager John Mozeliak was pessimistic about the chances of either player returning from injury this season and in fact Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that he “all but extinguished hope” for Furcal’s return.
“The clock’s not on our side,” Mozeliak said about Furcal, who hasn’t played since injuring his elbow on August 30 and may eventually need surgery that comes with a six-month recovery timetable.
Berkman’s odds of returning are better, but Strauss reports that he’s yet to swing a bat since undergoing a second knee surgery and has toned down his recent optimism about potentially coming back.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 57
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)