Sep 25, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
General manager John Mozeliak was pessimistic about the chances of either player returning from injury this season and in fact Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that he “all but extinguished hope” for Furcal’s return.
“The clock’s not on our side,” Mozeliak said about Furcal, who hasn’t played since injuring his elbow on August 30 and may eventually need surgery that comes with a six-month recovery timetable.
Berkman’s odds of returning are better, but Strauss reports that he’s yet to swing a bat since undergoing a second knee surgery and has toned down his recent optimism about potentially coming back.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)