Dusty Baker suffered a mini-stroke

Sep 25, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT

Holy moly! In addition to the irregular heartbeat, Dusty Baker suffered a mini-stroke.  Via Mark Sheldon, here’s the statement from the Reds:

While in Chicago on Wednesday, Reds manager Dusty Baker was admitted to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, commonly referred to as an irregular heartbeat. As he was being discharged on Friday, he suffered a mini-stroke and immediately was treated by the hospital’s stroke team, which minimized the effects of the stroke.

Dusty returned to Cincinnati on Sunday, and his condition has improved dramatically. His Cincinnati neurologist, Dr. Joseph Broderick, and cardiologists, Dr. Dean Kereiakes and Dr. Daniel Beyerbach, expect Dusty to make a full recovery and return to the dugout, possibly as soon as the season’s final series next week in St. Louis.

Damn. Here’s hoping the best for Dusty.

1. cur68 - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Jeez. I was kinda worried this was worse than we were being told. Well, early intervention really helps with a stroke (if you’re going to have one its best to be a woman or a child: plan ahead folks!). Good luck there Dusty.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Booking my gender reassignment surgery, just in case.

• cur68 - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I try to remain as childish as possible. There’s no need for crazyness.

2. contraryguy - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Um, wow. Concussions are keeping players off the field, but have a “mini-stroke” and you’re good to go a week later?

• shelldaddy1 - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM

He’s a manager! Nice one hits him!

• natslady - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Why the thumbs down? It’s a concern and I agree. Dusty, take a break, your team won the Division. Get better and manage for the playoffs.

• mrredlegz - Sep 26, 2012 at 5:07 AM

….says the natsfan as her team desparately clings to the #1 seed…..

• contraryguy - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Which is what I basically failed to get across… it still sounds like a huge concern to me. (And redlegz, I’m a Reds fan too, btw).

So according to the article by Paul Daugherty, cincinnati.com, Dusty has lost up to a dozen pounds of water weight as they have him on diuretics (possibly for blood pressure). Still doesn’t sound very healthy to me. But… I’m not the doctor… you go get em Dusty. But let Speier take the stress.

3. lewp - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

As a heart attack survivor myself, I can only wish and pray good things for Dusty.

There is no fear than this fear after going through this. Hang in there Dusty.

By the way folks, eat right, try and lower that nasty cholesterol. And for God’s sake, put down those cigarettes! I had smoked for 40 years, so it didn’t take me long to put them down after having the heart attack.

Smoking = constricted arteries, + high cholesterol = no way for the blood to get through your veins. Oh, and lets not even talk about being a couch potato too. Let’s wake up guys!!

4. fuddpucker - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I don’t know, if it was me and I had a “mini-stroke” I’d take at least 6 months off to get my mind and body in the best shape possible. Not to mention the fact that I was already in the hospital for an irregular heartbeat.

Take care of the important things first Dusty..only then should you get back to the dugout.

5. hittfamily - Sep 25, 2012 at 6:34 PM

My Dad suffered a mini stroke a year ago. Very scary. They called it a T.I.A. stroke if I am not mistaken. Mom called me and said dad was slurring his words like he was drunk, but wouldn’t go to the hospital. I called 911 and headed from Jacksonville to Tallahassee. He was acting goofy, like a kid. The Docs told him not to drive for a while, and put him on cholesterol meds, and he has been fine ever since. Here’s hoping Dusty will be fine as well.

• indaburg - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

You’re 100% right, hittfamily. TIA stands for transient ischemic attack, which is commonly known as a mini-stroke. They can be precursors to full blown strokes, but with intervention and treatment, it can be prevented. TIAs are like an early warning. I’m glad your dad is doing well.

6. anthonyverna - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I hope Dusty improves soon.

7. raysfan1 - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM

The heart condition, atrial fibrillation, increases the risk of such mini-strokes. He’s undoubtedly on blood thinners now.

8. dondada10 - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM

If Dusty Baker were my father, I’d beg him to stop managing baseball teams ASAP.

9. jashton11 - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Get well soon, Dusty. As much as I’d like to see him back on the bench for the playoffs, I just hope he’s able to get (and stay) healthy.

10. whitlockd - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I always enjoyed Dusty when he managed the Giants. So much so that I named my dog after him. Well, that and because I didn’t want to have to constantly explain my other option: Willclarkia. My daughter will just have to go through life with an odd middle name.

Get well soon, Dusty.

11. stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I was sorta’ thinking it may have been worse (considering the reports have been less than on point).
    My Father had a mild stroke several years ago. Too this day his sense of taste and smell are almost non-existent. Get well Dusty. You guys clinched…take the rest of the regular season off and come back for the playoffs re-charged (where hopefully the St. Louis Cardinals ultimately beat you).
    But most importantly…get healthy.

12. materialman80 - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Poor Dusty may have another one when he gets knocked out of the playoffs.

13. badintent - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Bloggers, stop smoking, get off the computer and go for a walk. !! And cut out the fast food, fried crap…. and the Donuts and Ice Cream every week. You will be next for a stroke or worst.This is your final warning…………………………………The Wizard of OZ

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2975)