Giants not expected to welcome Melky Cabrera back for a potential NLCS, World Series run

Sep 25, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT

melky cabrera getty Getty Images

CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly had this two weeks ago, and now it’s close to being made official. Here is Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle:

Manager Bruce Bochy said the Melky Cabrera decision will be announced “before the end of the homestand,” but not today. I can see why they’d wait. The Giants, Major League Baseball and the Players Association had a press conference at the ballpark today to outline plans for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. News on Cabrera’s fate would overshadow the WBC announcements. My best guess is Thursday.

Just like Baggarly suggested on September 14, Schulman says that all indications point to Cabrera being told that he can’t come back when his 50-game PED suspension ends five games into the postseason.

It’s an odd decision given how productive Cabrera has been in a Giants uniform. And when you consider that Guillermo Mota — who served a 100-game suspension earlier this year — is currently on San Francisco’s active roster, it seems a little hypocritical. But the Giants are 25-11 since the Cabrera punishment was handed down by Major League Baseball and clearly believe that they can keep rolling without him.

Cabrera was batting .346/.390/.516 with 11 home runs and 60 RBI through 113 games this season.

1. braddavery - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Why the hell not? Do what it takes to win within the rules of MLB. He “did his time”. To sit him when he’s still able to play well and add to the team is needless, and if you want to win games in the playoffs, quite ridiculous.

• badmajk24 - Sep 26, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I don’t think it is ridiculous, remember Melky before he started juicing? Mediocre at best. Good move by Giants

2. randygnyc - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I don’t like anything about San Fran-sicko, but if the Giants see this through, they’ve earned my respect.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Really (knowingly feeding troll)?
      I have visited New York Sicky, and thought it was a great place, a great city.
      I don’t live in San Francisco, but I have been there many many times, can you tell me how exactly it compares unfavorably? Given what must be a fair sample size of time you have spent there.
      Unless you are just talking out your ignorant ass…

I have a feeling that the Giants are patiently waiting for your approval…

3. dondada10 - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I thought the reason he asked baseball to “not count” his “batting title” was so that he could curry favor with the Giants, in hopes that they would activate when possible.

Remember, Melky’s a free agent. A good October goes a long way toward rebuilding value.

• mikefoxtrot - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:00 PM

and since he won’t be back with the Giants after this year, perhaps they feel that insuring that Cabrera doesn’t have any October at all, is an appropriate way to repay him for getting caught cheating

• manchestermiracle - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM

The Giants worried about someone cheating? Yeah, they really came down on Bonds, didn’t they?

4. whitlockd - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM

The main difference between Mota and Cabrera is that the Giants and MLB believe that Mota’s positive test was an honest mistake. I don’t believe they feel that way about Melky’s test and his “website”. Additionally, the Giants organization is pretty upset that Melky left the clubhouse without waiting to say goodbye to anyone. This bridge is burnt.

• theptbnl - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM

The Giants also felt like they had to add Mota to their roster or they would have lost a grievance to the players union for penalizing the player twice. It becomes a little less clear if they would lose with Melky since he won’t have anyone to face in the minors for some ‘rehab’ games before rejoining the team in the playoffs.

5. fuddpucker - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Melky can’t play worth a darn unless he’s all juiced up.

Wait, he’ll probably get all juiced up before he plays again anyway. That’s how the cheating culture of baseball works

6. paint771 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

This makes some sense to me. The first day they get him back is the league championship series opener. 50 games is a long time, I don’t care who you are – the Giants won’t quite know what they have in the very short term. To trot him out there in the NLCS is a pretty big risk. It’s one you’d take with a franchise guy coming back from an injury, say, but in this case, his presence has the potential to be disruptive to a clubhouse that’s been gelling pretty well, it has the potential to overshadow, in terms of dominant narrative, whatever accomplishments the team and the organization put together, and the organization must feel that even if he winds up playing great, it’d just be buying a guy who the organization clearly feels screwed them over a better contract to get out of dodge on.

If you start with the premise that Cabrera is gone come November (which this move telegraphs), why not consolidate the franchise around its current core – one that’s been winning – rather than drop the guy back in? The answer from critics will be “but why leave Cabrera off the roster out of spite if his presence would mean the World Series?” But that’s not a given in the least – and if that’s uncertain, and there are other organizational considerations…well, like I said, makes some sense to me.

7. fuddpucker - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM

The more I think about it now that Melky has been exposed to be a steroid cheater and a liar he’ll be relegated to the small market teams like Toronto or Pittsburgh.

If Melky’s numbers ever go up he’ll immediately be identified as cheating AGAIN.

Still, Victor says only the stupid ones get caught so if Melky all a sudden gets smart he can go back to roidin’ and hittin’ aplenty.

8. granted42 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Two months is a long time to out, and with no Minor Leagues to tune him up before he returns, I don’t see why they should bring him back. The team is doing well without him, and the playoffs aren’t the place to wait for someone to get back their swing.

9. bouschkin - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Wasn’t he the All-Star Game MVP? If the Giants advance to the World Series, would they also forfeit home field advantage?

10. jhorton83 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I think it probably has to do with the fact that he seemingly alienated his teammates by not even apologizing to them in person. Their chemistry is good as evidenced by their winning percentage since he’s been out. Why do anything to disrupt that?

11. t3chnician - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Well, let’s see, Melky is a liar and a cheat, he did nothing to help his team get to the post-season, so yeah, I don’t see why they would invite him along.

12. nokoolaidcowboy - Sep 26, 2012 at 5:14 AM

It’s a shame to beat out so many others throughout your childhood to college to get to this level of baseball and lose it all.
    Let this be a lesson kid’s, stay clean.

13. braunliesandcheats - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:15 AM

The majority of MLB players caught are Latino. In my opinion better than 70 percent of Latinos are cheating and 50 percent of all players are cheating.

• shawndc04 - Sep 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Umm, source?

• anythingbutyanks - Sep 26, 2012 at 8:20 AM

His/her arse.

• stex52 - Sep 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM

It’s a problem with the concept of free speech. It gets us to thinking that everyone’s opinion has some validity.

14. henryd3rd - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I have a question! Should the Giants prevail and go on to win the World Series, is Melky entitled to a World Series share? Just asking!

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I’m not sure about the share, but he would be entitled to a ring. I wonder if he’ll ask MLB to not give him one if it happens…

• ptfu - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I don’t know how the Giants players voted regarding playoff shares, or if they’ve even voted yet. Apparently some Giants do want to award Melky a full share, while others think he should get only a partial share. Must be quite a discussion in the SF clubhouse. Of course Melky himself doesn’t get a voice or a vote, thanks to that pesky suspension that keeps him away.

15. stex52 - Sep 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I wouldn’t give the Giants any integrity points. I think it also involves the practical consideration of how ready he will be to play. But I imagine he does deserve and will get some fraction of the playoff share for players.

16. manchestermiracle - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Until teams are forced to forfeit games cheaters played in nothing will change. The Giants don’t want Cabrera back, but they sure don’t mind keeping the games he helped them win.

17. lumpyf - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I get a chuckle out of those who think the decision is odd because Melky had been so productive. It won’t be the same Melky. Pre-PED Melky was mediocre at best. And a clean Melky who hasn’t played for 50 games would suck.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3972)