Sep 25, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Manager Bruce Bochy said the Melky Cabrera decision will be announced “before the end of the homestand,” but not today. I can see why they’d wait. The Giants, Major League Baseball and the Players Association had a press conference at the ballpark today to outline plans for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. News on Cabrera’s fate would overshadow the WBC announcements. My best guess is Thursday.
Just like Baggarly suggested on September 14, Schulman says that all indications point to Cabrera being told that he can’t come back when his 50-game PED suspension ends five games into the postseason.
It’s an odd decision given how productive Cabrera has been in a Giants uniform. And when you consider that Guillermo Mota — who served a 100-game suspension earlier this year — is currently on San Francisco’s active roster, it seems a little hypocritical. But the Giants are 25-11 since the Cabrera punishment was handed down by Major League Baseball and clearly believe that they can keep rolling without him.
Cabrera was batting .346/.390/.516 with 11 home runs and 60 RBI through 113 games this season.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)