Sep 25, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Manager Bruce Bochy said the Melky Cabrera decision will be announced “before the end of the homestand,” but not today. I can see why they’d wait. The Giants, Major League Baseball and the Players Association had a press conference at the ballpark today to outline plans for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. News on Cabrera’s fate would overshadow the WBC announcements. My best guess is Thursday.
Just like Baggarly suggested on September 14, Schulman says that all indications point to Cabrera being told that he can’t come back when his 50-game PED suspension ends five games into the postseason.
It’s an odd decision given how productive Cabrera has been in a Giants uniform. And when you consider that Guillermo Mota — who served a 100-game suspension earlier this year — is currently on San Francisco’s active roster, it seems a little hypocritical. But the Giants are 25-11 since the Cabrera punishment was handed down by Major League Baseball and clearly believe that they can keep rolling without him.
Cabrera was batting .346/.390/.516 with 11 home runs and 60 RBI through 113 games this season.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)