Sep 25, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Yesterday Heath Bell was on a radio show and ripped Ozzie Guillen. It was pretty straight forward, yes? Well, no, because like just about everyone else who didn’t realize that they said something controversial until after he said it, Bell has gone into damage control mode and now claims he didn’t mean what everyone heard him say.
He was on “Power Alley” with Jim Duquette and Mike Ferrin on MLB Network Radio today — you can listen here — and he said he didn’t think he said anything wrong. When asked if he was misinterpreted, he said:
“I think it was. I was never criticizing Ozzie. I don’t think that’s what I was doing on the radio. I was choosing my words kind of right … I never said I don’t respect him as a manager or a person.
Wait, time out, Heath: this is what you said: “It’s hard to respect a guy that doesn’t tell you the truth or doesn’t tell you face to face.” And then you said Ozzie Guillen didn’t tell you the truth and didn’t tell you face to face. Now I’m confused. Let me think … I want to give you the benefit of the doubt here because I kinda like your style, so let me be your spin doctor …. thinking …
Got it!! Though it is hard to respect such a man, you fought through that crap and did it anyway. Really, Ozzie should be thanking you for your strength! You’re one HELL Of a guy.
Bell went on:
It is interesting, I think, to play underneath a manager like Ozzie because he talks to the press and he does a lot of things and he’s loud. But you know what? You know, I’ve had good managers, I’ve had bad managers and I don’t think Ozzie’s the reason why we really stunk this year. I think for me not performing to the next guy not performing. And that’s the reason we didn’t win this year. It’s not because of Ozzie.
Heath Bell pivots pretty quick for a big dude. OK, Heath, Ozzie isn’t the problem. Who is?
Everybody’s trying to point at Ozzie or somebody in this organization … I just think everybody’s trying to point fingers why we didn’t win.
But not, you, right. You didn’t try to point a finger and say something you shouldn’t have, did you?
And, you know, did I say something I probably shouldn’t have? Yes, I did. I’m going to own up to it.
Good. Nice to see that humility. This is actually progress:
But you know what? I’m not going to back down from anybody.
But … but … with the owning up and the … I’m so confused …
Apparently I just have to keep my mouth shut. Next year I’m not going to talk to anybody for the simple fact [that] it’s not doing me any good.
OK, we’re back to agreeing on something. Nice interview, Heath.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)