Sep 25, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Yesterday Heath Bell was on a radio show and ripped Ozzie Guillen. It was pretty straight forward, yes? Well, no, because like just about everyone else who didn’t realize that they said something controversial until after he said it, Bell has gone into damage control mode and now claims he didn’t mean what everyone heard him say.
He was on “Power Alley” with Jim Duquette and Mike Ferrin on MLB Network Radio today — you can listen here — and he said he didn’t think he said anything wrong. When asked if he was misinterpreted, he said:
“I think it was. I was never criticizing Ozzie. I don’t think that’s what I was doing on the radio. I was choosing my words kind of right … I never said I don’t respect him as a manager or a person.
Wait, time out, Heath: this is what you said: “It’s hard to respect a guy that doesn’t tell you the truth or doesn’t tell you face to face.” And then you said Ozzie Guillen didn’t tell you the truth and didn’t tell you face to face. Now I’m confused. Let me think … I want to give you the benefit of the doubt here because I kinda like your style, so let me be your spin doctor …. thinking …
Got it!! Though it is hard to respect such a man, you fought through that crap and did it anyway. Really, Ozzie should be thanking you for your strength! You’re one HELL Of a guy.
Bell went on:
It is interesting, I think, to play underneath a manager like Ozzie because he talks to the press and he does a lot of things and he’s loud. But you know what? You know, I’ve had good managers, I’ve had bad managers and I don’t think Ozzie’s the reason why we really stunk this year. I think for me not performing to the next guy not performing. And that’s the reason we didn’t win this year. It’s not because of Ozzie.
Heath Bell pivots pretty quick for a big dude. OK, Heath, Ozzie isn’t the problem. Who is?
Everybody’s trying to point at Ozzie or somebody in this organization … I just think everybody’s trying to point fingers why we didn’t win.
But not, you, right. You didn’t try to point a finger and say something you shouldn’t have, did you?
And, you know, did I say something I probably shouldn’t have? Yes, I did. I’m going to own up to it.
Good. Nice to see that humility. This is actually progress:
But you know what? I’m not going to back down from anybody.
But … but … with the owning up and the … I’m so confused …
Apparently I just have to keep my mouth shut. Next year I’m not going to talk to anybody for the simple fact [that] it’s not doing me any good.
OK, we’re back to agreeing on something. Nice interview, Heath.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)