Heath Bell [all together now!] claims he was taken out of context

Sep 25, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

heath bell getty Getty Images

Yesterday Heath Bell was on a radio show and ripped Ozzie Guillen.  It was pretty straight forward, yes?  Well, no, because like just about everyone else who didn’t realize that they said something controversial until after he said it, Bell has gone into damage control mode and now claims he didn’t mean what everyone heard him say.

He was on “Power Alley” with Jim Duquette and Mike Ferrin on MLB Network Radio today — you can listen here — and he said he didn’t think he said anything wrong. When asked if he was misinterpreted, he said:

“I think it was.  I was never criticizing Ozzie.  I don’t think that’s what I was doing on the radio.  I was choosing my words kind of right …  I never said I don’t respect him as a manager or a person.

Wait, time out, Heath: this is what you said:  “It’s hard to respect a guy that doesn’t tell you the truth or doesn’t tell you face to face.”  And then you said Ozzie Guillen didn’t tell you the truth and didn’t tell you face to face.  Now I’m confused.  Let me think … I want to give you the benefit of the doubt here because I kinda like your style, so let me be your spin doctor …. thinking …

Got it!!  Though it is hard to respect such a man, you fought through that crap and did it anyway.  Really, Ozzie should be thanking you for your strength!  You’re one HELL Of a guy.

Bell went on:

It is interesting, I think, to play underneath a manager like Ozzie because he talks to the press and he does a lot of things and he’s loud.  But you know what?  You know, I’ve had good managers, I’ve had bad managers and I don’t think Ozzie’s the reason why we really stunk this year.  I think for me not performing to the next guy not performing.  And that’s the reason we didn’t win this year.  It’s not because of Ozzie.

Heath Bell pivots pretty quick for a big dude.  OK, Heath, Ozzie isn’t the problem. Who is?

Everybody’s trying to point at Ozzie or somebody in this organization … I just think everybody’s trying to point fingers why we didn’t win.

But not, you, right. You didn’t try to point a finger and say something you shouldn’t have, did you?

And, you know, did I say something I probably shouldn’t have?  Yes, I did.  I’m going to own up to it.

Good. Nice to see that humility. This is actually progress:

But you know what?  I’m not going to back down from anybody.

But … but … with the owning up and the … I’m so confused …

Apparently I just have to keep my mouth shut. Next year I’m not going to talk to anybody for the simple fact [that] it’s not doing me any good.

OK, we’re back to agreeing on something. Nice interview, Heath.

1. realgone2 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

So the whole Marlins’ season was taken out of context?

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

You’re out of context! This whole SEASON is out of context!

• Old Gator - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

And you’re unmutual. Confess it. Confess to being unmutual. And say you’re sorry. (This was for fans of The Prisoner only.)

2. stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Hard to argue “context” or “misquote” from a radio interview, isn’t it? That’s the magic of E-mail. You can always stop, re-read and say, “Can I live with the fallout if I hit the “send’ button?” Too bad we can’t do that with our mouths.

• kiwicricket - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I am willing to wager there is at least one email, at some point in their lives, where everyone is willing to pay large sums of money to have not been sent.

• indaburg - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I still wince while thinking of an email I wish I could take back, and it’s been over 8 years.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I know which one mine was. And that was ten years ago.

• cur68 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I got 17 years on two words: “I do”. Sorry to trump you, but I’m living with that regret ever since. I feel for Ole Heath Bell here: not quite my level of stupidity, but its up there, all right.

‘In case there’s a fire or a flood,’ she explained, ‘or any act of God.’

• paperlions - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Mine was in 1996….the thing is….I took it back…..I bet that version of me would consider it the email he most wished he sent, but didn’t. Life can be hard.

• Old Gator - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM

No, it’s easy to argue context from any angle. What’s hard is getting anyone to believe it. What’s that old Texan saying – “Stop pissin’ on my boots and tellin’ me that it’s rainin'”?

I am going to venture a bold hypothesis here: Heath wants very badly to punch his ticket out of Macondo and he doesn’t much care how he does it.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You’ve got the jargon down pretty well. Sort of the Texas version of “Blowing sunshine up my …….” well, you got it.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM

And I think you got the bigger point right, OG. He’s looking for that ticket out of town. Good luck on his pitching this year. That’s a lot of salary to eat.

3. kiwicricket - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

‘I was choosing my words kind of right’
    Ouch.

4. indaburg - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Truly, he has a dizzying intellect.

• umrguy42 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Wait ’til he gets going!

• scratchnsniffnblog - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Wait til he gets going.

Where was he…?

5. alexo0 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Just another example of the “gotcha” media trying to use a person’s own words against them.

• kiwicricket - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The over-weight toolbox blabbed too much and ripped his CURRENT manager….after the over-paid, over-weight toolbox has sucked all season.
      Not too much sympathy for him, really.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Thumbs up, presuming sarcasm.

6. fearlessleader - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Hey look….Heath blows another save opportunity.

7. scratchnsniffnblog - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Dammit, Gator. I spend a week away from watching the Feesh and THIS is what you allow to happen??

Suddenly there are headlines that Loria is cheap and difficult to work for, Ozzie is a pain in his owner’s butt, and Heath Bell can’t get out of his own way.

Of course, we all knew this, but we were supposed to spread these stories out over the next few months to make our franchise look a little less…fishfunctional.

• Old Gator - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

That’s it. Go to your room.

8. crnvic847 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Hey Craig how did you come across a picture of Kenny Powers in a Miami Marlins uniform?

• foreverchipper10 - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I think it is closer to Harland Williams than Kenny Powers.

9. tfbuckfutter - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Maybe the people who said his wife was fat were misinterpreted. Maybe what they meant was that women who weigh as much as his wife are fat.

10. moogro - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM

!

Sounds like a Romney or Ryan interview.

11. kappy32 - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Heath Bell has an awful lot to say for a guy who has mustered only a few good seasons. Last time I checked, Ozzie was a rather successful player, having a playing career that Bell could only dream of having, and has gone on to be a pretty successful manager. Last time I checked, it was Ozzie who had the World Series Ring; they don’t give them out to last place teams like the ones Bell has languished on. This fat bastard is complaining about how he “worked his butt off” but wasn’t able to regain his closer’s role after doing everything he could the first half of the season to bury the Marlins. How about this, Heath? You are now a multi-millionaire after the Marlins gave you possibly the worst contract in the history of their franchise & that alone should be enough for you to “work your butt off” every single day that you are a member of that team. Closer or not, you have an obligation to Mr. Loria, the man who signs your bloated check; Mr. Hill & Mr. Beinfest, the “co-GMs” who very likely will be losing their jobs in a few weeks primarily due to offering you a ridiculous contract; your teammates, the majority of whom go out there & “work their butts off” for a minúte fraction of what you make; and the fans, who traveled to that spaceship looking stadium to watch you blow lead after lead the first half, spend at least $150 on tickets & concessions, and are a large supplemental asset used to pay your aforementioned bloated contract. Last time I checked, Ozzie stuck with Bell for a significant amount of time longer than he ever should have & repeatedly told him he had faith in him. Want to talk about being honest? Bell was the one who promised Ozzie that he was turning a corner, about to pick things up, only to go out & blow 3 straight saves, 2 of which were 3 run leads, forcing Ozzie to remove him. Bell has no one to blame but himself for being demoted & not getting “his job” back. I am a big Mets fan & I was extremely happy when he left that team because all he did was complain that he wasn’t given a fair shot then once they did give him one, he was extremely underwhelming. That canyon called Petco Park is the only reason why anyone knows Heath Bell’s name. Maybe the Marlins can trade him to the Sugarland Skeeters for Clemens because as far as I’m concerned, Clemens has more credibility than this fat clown.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2960)