Ichiro Suzuki treats his bats “like a rock musician with a guitar”

Sep 25, 2012, 3:15 PM EST

Seattle Mariners v New York Yankees Getty Images

Ichiro Suzuki is hitting again with a .328 batting average and .831 OPS since joining the Yankees, but even while struggling with the Mariners he never took it out on his bats.

In fact, as David Waldstein wrote about for the New York Times, Suzuki treats his bats amazingly well:

Suzuki neatly stacks his best eight bats inside a shockproof, moisture-free black case that he keeps close by his locker at home and on the road.

“He dresses like a rock star and he carries his bats around in a case like a rock musician with a guitar,” Yankees pitcher Boone Logan said. “It fits his style perfectly.”

The case, which looks like a mini trunk, not only protects the bats from jostling and banging during transports, it also serves as a dehumidifier, drawing moisture out of the bats during the hot, humid American summers.

“In New York, Texas, Baltimore, you take your bat from the clubhouse to the dugout and it’s like it’s sweating from all the moisture,” he said through his interpreter. “It’s really shocking to see it.”

Waldstein’s article has a lot more where that came from, including Suzuki’s various theories on how moisture impacts his hitting. It’s a very good read and Suzuki’s whole routine comes off as more meticulous than insane … although maybe that’s just because the guy has 2,600 hits in 12 seasons.

1. elmaquino - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Dock Ellis on his LSD-fueled no-hitter:

“I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate”

2. philliesblow - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

So I guess Ichiro is not a Who fan.

• natstowngreg - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

That was my first thought as well. Oh, to be young, rich, and able to afford backup musical instruments.

3. kevinbnyc - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM

He can do whatever the hell he wants with his bats as long as he keeps hitting.

4. kander013 - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM

So that’s why Nishi can’t hit? I knew it was the damn bat case. It always is.

5. cur68 - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM

The Bat Case? Really? Draws moisture out of the bats? As in Aquaman proof? Well slap my ass and call me Studly, I didn’t see this one developing. You saw it here, folks. Ichiro Suzki might really be Batman.

• indaburg - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Ok, stud. Batman? I don’t know. Would Batman ever make this face?

Robin, maybe.

That said, Ichiro is a rock star. I hate that he’s a Yankee.

• cur68 - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Stud, eh Sally? I hope your husband isn’t a big dude or I’m in trouble. If he is I bet I run faster. I sure hope I do.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM

:-)

• badintent - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I smell a Red Sox fan/fool ! Ichiro is also Japanese and smarter than all of us.Trade for him the steal of the year.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Oh, no. I hate the Red Sox too. I’m a Rays fan. A rare species, the Floridus raysfanus. It is afraid of sunlight, hence the domed stadium, and crowded spaces, hence the empty stadium.

6. cubsrice - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Hats for bats…

7. crnvic847 - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Gracias.

8. girardisbraces - Sep 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Up your butt, Jobu….

9. beaverdam21 - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM

One of the highlights of my small town upbringing was seeing Dock Ellis play on the local minor league team (Southern League)

10. freeagentsignee - Sep 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM