Nelson Cruz bought a firetruck

Sep 25, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

Texas Rangers baserunner Cruz is congratulated in his dugout after he scored a run off a two-run single by teammate Murphy against Seattle Mariners in their American League game at Safeco Field in Seattle

Nelson Cruz comes from a city in the Dominican Republic that, despite being home to nearly 300,000 people, does not have adequate firefighting equipment. Nelson Cruz decided to do something about that:

“In my hometown we don’t have ambulances or firetrucks, so I decided to buy one,” Cruz said. “It was yellow, so we had to paint it red.”

And, in conjunction with that, the company which provides ambulance service in Arlington, Texas donated two ambulances.  And the Rangers are paying to have the vehicles shipped to the Dominican Republic.

Very cool.

1. cur68 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The Rangers are the coolest. Not only do they have the coolest team name (Chuck Norris is THAT popular: a whole baseball team named after him!) but they do cool stuff, too. Its like they are rich, but not so greedy that they can’t be cool. Like, wow.

2. rhett16 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Finally, a feel-good sports story after the last 12 hours of absolute chaos, courtesy of the NFL. Good for you, Mr. Cruz.

3. Mike Luna - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Based on the headline, I was hoping he’d bought it to just drive around in. I like it when rich people do wacky things like that with their money.

Still, I guess this version is good too.

• papalurchdxb - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

My first thoughts too, like how Chris Eubank brought a huge rig and drives it around Brighton dressed like Lord of the Manor, crazy stupid rich people stuff.

That being said, gestures like these which are genuinely going to improve things for the recipients, as opposed to some lip-service stuff, are also incredibly cool to hear about.

4. danaking - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I was in Fort Worth on business last year, and caught a Rangers game because it seemed a shame to be that close to a ballpark I’d never visited and not go. I was pleasantly surprised from the time I walked up. The park is huge, but feels intimate once you get inside. The atmosphere is fun, but never artificial. The food was good and reasonably priced, by ballpark standards. The experience exceeded my expectations in every way, and I hope I get a chance to go back some time. It has also helped to make the Rangers possibly my favorite American League team (says a life-long Pirates/National league guy.)

This appears to be an organization that gets it.

• dondada10 - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Which, if you remember, was bankrupt a few years ago. They got new ownership, are in a great market, and are now set for the foreseeable future.

5. natstowngreg - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

A great story about not forgetting where you came from.

6. Old Gator - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I would’ve bought one of those miniature backhoes on caterpillar treads and gone around scaring the shit out of my dogs and digging up all of my trees and shrubs and then planting them again somewhere else on the property. How cool would that be?

7. kiwicricket - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Cruz and Oswalt are actually secretly combining their machines to make a giant Autobot.

• pdowdy83 - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM

If Oswalt is involved it may be a Decepticon when it is done. He certainly deceived the Rangers this year…

8. number42is1 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Man i LOVE shit like this. its like a movie where you feel great at the end as you walk out. Props to everyone involved.

9. indaburg - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

When I first read the headline without reading the article, my first thought was that Cruz bought a firetruck for personal usage and thought “That is so cool!” Yes, I can be that retarded. Then I read the article. The reason he bought it is way cooler. I’ve been to the DR many times visiting family, and I have never seen such poverty in my life. There is no social safety net there. You’re a good man, Mr. Cruz, to not forget where you came from.

Ace-killer Giants do it again