Sep 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
“Yeah, of course, it’s something I don’t want to be worried about anymore … If I can play, I can play. You can’t take that away from me. I think it’s easier for me not to be answering the questions you’re asking me right now the whole year.”
Ortiz has been down this road before: he’s wanted multi-year extensions in the past and the Red Sox haven’t been willing, probably thinking that Ortiz could hit a wall at any time. But despite some partial-year slumps, he’s come roaring back and stands now as the Sox’ best hitter. Before his injury this year: .318/.415/.611 with 23 home runs, 60 RBI and a 1.026 OPS in 90 games. He’s gonna get paid by someone.
That said, given the fact that there will be interleague all season going forward, I wonder if Ortiz will be one of the last of the truly full-time DHs. I wonder if this is the last monster deal a DH signs. Probably not, but it is weird to see how few of his ilk are around the game.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)