No surprise: David Ortiz wants a multi-year deal from Boston

Sep 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

David Ortiz AP

David Ortiz is poised to hit free agency. And, no surprise, he wants a multi-year deal. He said this to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald:

“Yeah, of course, it’s something I don’t want to be worried about anymore … If I can play, I can play. You can’t take that away from me. I think it’s easier for me not to be answering the questions you’re asking me right now the whole year.”

Ortiz has been down this road before: he’s wanted multi-year extensions in the past and the Red Sox haven’t been willing, probably thinking that Ortiz could hit a wall at any time.  But despite some partial-year slumps, he’s come roaring back and stands now as the Sox’ best hitter.  Before his injury this year: .318/.415/.611 with 23 home runs, 60 RBI and a 1.026 OPS in 90 games.  He’s gonna get paid by someone.

That said, given the fact that there will be interleague all season going forward, I wonder if Ortiz will be one of the last of the truly full-time DHs.  I wonder if this is the last monster deal a DH signs.  Probably not, but it is weird to see how few of his ilk are around the game.

1. pellypell - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

“Hey guys, I know I haven’t been to work in the last few months, but I will be returning next year and expect an extension” -Said No One Ever(well except for Ortiz)

• seahawks55 - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM

“Hey guys, I’ve only been the heart and soul of your franchise for the last decade, while twice leading you to World Series titles. I’ve averaged around 35 home runs and a .907 OPS during my career for you, while being a great teammate. Even standing by you when you embarrassed my manager and subsequently replaced him with an idiot. Do you think I could get a little job security?”

• townballblog - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Agree! Except with calling Bobby V. an idiot – whether he is or isn’t, I think the guy has been through enough.

• pellypell - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM

“We don’t pay for past performances anymore, we pay for expected future production”

Love,
        John Henry

• dwrek5 - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Everyone knows the Red Sox have neither heart nor soul. (Should that have been in quotations?)

• soxski - Sep 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Hey Guys. I have only been the Heart and Soul while being the highest paid DH for the past decade…..but I feel disrespected. I was cut by Minny and added to a team that had nanny protecting me. I began to rake and put up numbers I have never put up before. Then Manny was traded and I forgot how to hit for two years. Hen Adrian was slotted ino the lineup and I hit again. I have not played since he has been traded. I am 38 nd made 14 million disrespecting dollars…..can the brass insult me anymore. We need three more of me to win. Yep he said it. We need three more guys that can only DH. Maybe he should go to NY. They will have several DH types next season. Finally. Papi. We cheered for you. We encouraged you through your lumps. You were rewarded handsomely. We are irked by your complaints. You are a 38 year old aging veteran DH who was offered a two year 16 million dollar deal. I believe you said it was not just about the money. You declined at took the 14. I would not offer you a penny more than 2 years for 15 with an option at 7 million for year 3. You will be done with baseball well before the contract expires due to declining abilities r injuries. In fact. Please note. You have been out for over two months when you injured yourself jogging……yes jogging around the bases. If Papi wants more go after Josh Hsmilton. We can keep him on the Feild longer by allowing him to DH nd play left Feild. I old DH him on the oad an let him man left at Fenway. It hold keep him healthy and then we will see ome Papi disrespect. Don’t sign Papi. He does not fit in our plans any longer and he complains way too often for an injury prone, elitely paid hitter hat sits during interleague games. Thanks for the thrills. But if they pay you more than the two year 15 I’ll gag. You don’t deserve to get paid for the past.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Using the classic “If George Steinbrenner was still alive” meme… George would be drooling to sign Ortiz, if for no other reason than to piss off the Sox s’more. Even if the Yanks already have a near-FT DH in ARod.

3. townballblog - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Boston definitely has the money to sign him, at least to a 2-year deal (which is what he wanted last year).

• pellypell - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

They also have the money to sign Johnny Damon, Nomar Garciaparra and Curt Schilling.

4. sabatimus - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I’m assuming Ortiz didn’t simply open his mouth and start saying “Yeah, of course” etc…Lauber must’ve asked him a question. But if he did, it’s nowhere to be found. And we all know how reporters love to ask leading questions.

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yep–Ortiz’s response: “I think it’s easier for me not to be answering the questions you’re asking me right now the whole year…It’s been, what, three years now that I’ve got to be answering this question.” But what WAS the question? It’s not there in the article. I HATE “journalism” like this.

5. newpairofsox - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I think it’s time for the Sox to move on. Take a shot at signing Hamilton and let Papi seek greener pastures. Even if they miss on Josh, next year is about rebuilding anyway, right?

• larrytsg - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Hamilton? He’s 31 (I think) and has serious ongoing substance issues. Sure he can rake right now, but something tells me he’s not going to be able to keep up what he’s done the past few seasons. If you could sign Hamilton for 2 years, I might think it was worth the risk, but the guy is looking for a big time contract, and right now I think the Sox consider themselves lucky to have shed some of their latest mistakes on long term contracts, and I doubt they’re ready to jump into another dubious long term contract on a 30 something player.

6. willclarkgameface - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I don’t care what you’ve done. What will you do for me in the future? That’s all ANY team is going to ask David Ortiz and if he can’t be healthy enough to be a friggin’ DH for 120 games, who the hell needs him?

NO ONE.

• pellypell - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Get out of here with your facts! Half of this board believes paying players because they are nice guys.

7. paperlions - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Everyone that would prefer a 1 year contract to a multi-year contract in your chosen (or not) profession, raise your hand.

No one? No shit.

Of course he would prefer a mult-year deal….who wouldn’t?

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Not that this has anything to do with David Ortiz, but if I was a million times more talented at baseball than I am, and thus a major leaguer, I’d play on serial one-year contracts, assuming the MLPA didn’t throw a fit. Each year, I’d simply ask for what I was worth right now, knowing full well that an organization was getting a good deal, and should pay me well, considering I was allowing them more leverage with the rest of their finances. Once you get into the multiple millions for playing a game, how much is enough? I realize that passing up a guaranteed contract could be considered foolish, as careers can end in a heartbeat. But it’d be much more honorable to have more direct relationship between salary and performance.

• larrytsg - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I can see Papi’s point, and even though he’s slowing down I cannot see a reason not to sign him to a 2 year deal. It’s not like he’s looking for 6 years and 120 million….

As for one year contracts, that is how Wakefield played out the last five (or more?) years of his career. He had a 4 million dollar contract with a team option to renew at 4 million. I remember they renewed him a few times, and then gave him a 2 year deal (at 4 million per year) to put an end to the whole thing. Not a bad way to go for a player who knows it’s just a privelege to be playing at that level, but it’s a whole other thing for a “superstar” who is used to being fawned over.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Apparently, for some time, Timmay

• paperlions - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Yeah, until he had to put his money where his mouth was….funny how the closer a player gets to being able to sign a multi-year deal, the more important getting those years becomes.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

What’s the downside? You don’t have to move your family for the duration. You don’t have to worry about an injury or a prolonged slump killing your value for the next year or more. You get to be comfortable with a group of players you can get to know. You may be underpriced on some future speculative market, but you’re going to be rich anyway. Virtually everyone will take a multi-year if he can get it.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM

“Chase your passion, not your pension” – Denis Waitley

8. dan1111 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yes, Ortiz carries risks of decline and injury. However, he has also down that he can still hit. Ultimately it comes down to the price. A part time DH with his track record still has plenty of value.

9. belichickrulz - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The Sox should tell Ortiz “Test free agency. Bring us your best offer from another team and we’ll go from there.” They need to stop competing against themselves and see if anyone else is even interested in him.

10. deathmonkey41 - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Awwwww, did anyone call him a Wambulance?

• pellypell - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Whine One One has been called.

11. simon94022 - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

MLB is adding a grand total of TWO inter league games to most teams’ schedules. Why would that cause a GM to fundamentally restructure their team and the way they use the DH?

12. chumthumper - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Shouldn’t he have said “If I can hit….” instead of “If I can play….?” He’s a DH, for crying out loud.

13. pogodog7 - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM

The Red Sox need to get rid of Bobby V first and then hire Tito back or Jason Varitek or Curt Schilling to manage.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3499)