Royals owner David Glass says he’ll spend for pitching

Sep 25, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Royals logo

I sorta feel like I’ve heard this a million times before, and yet the Royals pitching never gets better. Oh well, here’s a million and one: Royals owner David Glass says that the team will spend money in order to fix its pitching problems:

“Exactly how we’re going to do it, or what is going to be available, I don’t have any idea right now. But we’ll have a plan in place (going into the offseason). We know we need to improve this team for next year. This starting pitching is going to get better.”

Not sure why that made me think of this, but it did:

Anyway, there are not a lot of game-changing starting pitchers available out there this winter, though it’s not likely Kansas City could attract them even if there were.  But there are some solid pitchers available — guys like Anibal Sanchez and the like.  The Royals might have to spend more than some other teams to get such beasts, but if they want to stabilize the pitching staff and make a run in a weak division, that’s what they gotta do.

1. kevinleaptrot - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I wonder if Glass has thought of drafting and developing his own pitchers as the Nationals (Strasburg, Zimmermann, Detwiler, Storen, Clippard) have done?

• Joe - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM

At the risk of being nitpicky, Clippard was drafted by and made his major league debut with the Yankees. But your point stands.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

And I stand corrected!

• natstowngreg - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

True. Better mentions might have been Brad Peacock (a Round 41 pick), A.J. Cole, and Tom Milone. Young pitchers developed by the Nats, then traded for a young but proven MLB pitcher (Gio Gonzalez).

As others have noted, the Royals have tried to develop their own pitching, but without success thus far. That could change the next couple of years. In the meantime, Glass and Moore need to avoid more Gil Meche deals.

• gogigantos - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Meche was a good deal. He was clearly abused and as a result his arm was trashed. He then walked away from large money to retire. Gil Meche pitched well for the Royals well and the Royals did him wrong. Gil walked away from it all, a rare good man story in baseball in that he was happy to have made the dollars he did and wanted none more after he knew he was done.

What the Royals need to learn is how to grow the quality prospect pitchers they draft into quality big league arms.

• geoknows - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

A Strasburg only comes only once in a lifetime. The Royals had no chance to draft him, but would have if they could.

The Royals actually have lots of pitchers on their ML roster that they drafted and developed. Problem is, other than Danny Duffy (who, like Strasburg and Zimmermann before him, just had Tommy John surgery), they are all relievers. Which is why you shouldn’t bring up Storen as a model draft & development coup.

• mattyflex - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Mike Montgomrey has regressed, but was projected as a top 20 prospect as recently as last year. Danny Duffy is, as someone above mentioned, coming off of Tommy John surgery, and Jim Leyland last year said within a couple of years Duffy will be one of the best in the [AL] Central. The Royals drafted Kyle Zimmer this year. Yornado Ventura is also another nice product they drafted, who played in the futures game this year. Bryan Brickhouse was drafted in the third round last year, he needs some work but I like his stuff. Chris Dwyer, 4th round 2009…

I would continue on, but I’m pretty sure I win this round. Not to mention, David Glass doesn’t draft anyone. He sits in a chair, watching his money pile up, and lets Dayton Moore handle everything else.

• mattyflex - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

one final note to add, this statement comes on the exact same day that I received my season ticket renewal packet. There are 364 other days this could have gone public that wouldn’t seem so obvious.

2. geoknows - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Exactly where have you heard this before, Craig? Because David Glass has certainly never said it.

• mattyflex - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I don’t know the words “we are willing to operate at a loss” have ever, ever been spoken from the mouth of David Glass. Rarely if ever, also the implication that he will spend money.

3. sportsdrenched - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I don’t question Glass will open up his wallet. He did get Gil Meche for what was at the time a huge deal, and a lot of Nat’l Pundits thought the Royals overpaid for him. There is a history of him spending money.

The problem I have: I don’t have much faith in the front office to spend that money on the correct players. Because that history also exists with the Royals.

4. paperlions - Sep 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Trust the process.

5. fuddpucker - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Wow, KC needs to go out and get a pitcher like Zack Greinke!

Oh…wait.

• chumthumper - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I gave up on the Royals years ago. They haven’t been serious about fielding a quality team or relevant in decades and that isn’t going to change.

6. randygnyc - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I wish all these wealthy owners in the smaller markets decided to spend more money to make more money through winning. The problem is compounded by indifferent owners (ie; Seattle, minnesota, etc) who view their teams as portfolio investments. I hope the Royals achieve some success and it’s adopted league wide as an example.

7. Kevin Gillman - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

If you’re a baseball owner, you’re making money, not losing it. The problem is we will never see the books since the teams aren’t public. But if they weren’t making money, then they would sell the team.

8. timmons94 - Sep 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Glass will spend the cash, but does anyone trust Dayton will spend it wisely. I sure don’t

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS