The Braves and Tigers complete that trade no one remembers

Sep 25, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT

jeff baker getty Getty Images

At the end of August, The Braves acquired Jeff Baker from the Tigers for a player to be named. I swear I was around at the end of August, and I am a Braves, fan, but this trade totally eluded me. He’s had ten plate appearances since going to Atlanta and I have somehow missed them all.  Maybe I dreamed the whole thing?

Guess not, because the player to be named later has been named: it’s Greg Ross. Ross is a single-A pitcher, who was an 18th rounder in 2011 who has mostly started but has done some swingman duty too.

I suppose it’s possible Baker will have a big hit against a lefty while I’m watching a game. Or that Ross will turn into something interesting. Right now, though, it doesn’t really move the Earth for me.

1. dawgpoundmember - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

i thought the tigers released baker?

2. dawgpoundmember - Sep 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

wait no, they got him from the cubs, thanks craig, you confused me as well

3. darthicarus - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Don’t worry Craig, none of us Detroit fans recall Baker doing anything in his few days as a Tiger either.

• historiophiliac - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Oh, I remember. He stunk. He was supposed to help with the Kelly/Raburn problem & Dirks being out for a bit. He did not deliver and I’m glad DD cut their losses on that (particularly before Leyland got attached to him and would play him out of loyalty *sigh*). Baker didn’t have a terrible record but we needed someone who could deliver well right away. Tigers don’t need another Infante going into the final stretch. Anyway, hopefully this new guy will bolster the bullpen (STOP PLAYING COKE!!!!).

4. foreverchipper10 - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Oh….Jeff Baker you say. I thought they acquired John Bowker. Looks like you aren’t the only Braves fan to have this one get away from you.

5. celauritz - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Thought you meant Joe Boever.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug